What do 'nerdy' guys like in girls?

• Thread starter MissSilvy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about what qualities nerdy boys like in girls. The group discusses the challenges of dating nerdy guys who are often shy and give mixed signals. Some suggest that nerdy guys may appreciate a direct approach, while others mention qualities such as intelligence, ambition, and being an atheist as attractive to nerdy guys. The conversation also touches on the importance of physical appearance and having a good sense of humor. Overall, the group agrees that nerdy guys have high standards and are looking for someone who is intelligent, accomplished, and kind.
Evo said:
I always had to ask the nerdy guys out myself. I would just go up to them and ask "where are you taking me Friday night?" It always worked. You will find that nerdy guys will answer a direct question.

OK. Here's the plan Evo:

You are going to contact every female student at my university and give them this advice and a picture of me.

I'll take it from there.

Things will be SO easy from now on!

Physics news on Phys.org
G01 said:
OK. Here's the plan Evo:

You are going to contact every female student at my university and give them this advice and a picture of me.

I'll take it from there.

Things will be SO easy from now on!
No problem, send me the list!

Cyrus said:
There is a saying. It goes like this: Opposites attract.

Note the term Attract. Being completely different may bring you together because it's exciting, but it rarely works out. I've seen some kind of studies about this as well, I just can't remember where...

MissSilvy said:
Aside from the 1940s housewifery going on; Christ, there's large differences in opinions. The one issue I'm semi-confused about is whether a girl is intelligent in science or intelligent in the humanities.

I've found that women seem to have an idea of what they want in a man (or think they do) while men tend not to be sure about what they want in a woman. Women seem to be searching for someone who matches their dream man (or as close to as possible) and men are just searching, trying to figure out who their dream woman is. So among men criteria for a partner tend to be rather broad... so to speak.

Good rules of thumb are that a person will be interested in a person of similar intelligence, accomplishment/drive, and interests. And any one, or all, of these rules can be thrown out the window in the right circumstances, especially with men.

For 'nerdy guys' you will probably want to focus on being able to communicate and have intelligent conversation with them about the things that interest them. As has already been pointed out there is a definition problem for the word 'nerdy'. There are different sorts of nerds/geeks. There are computer geeks, science geeks, math geeks, lit. geeks, theatre geeks, film geeks, ect.. You're average geek realizes that most people (let alone those specififcally of the female persuasion) are not likely to share their passion and accept that. You may get bonus points for sharing this with them but it certainly isn't a deal maker or breaker. So secondary interests come into play alot. Secondary interests among geeks tend toward video games, comic books, science fiction, fantasy, strategy games (e.g. chess), logic puzzles... and even range out into not so geeky things such as poker, billiards, guns, fishing, cars, ect.. Its an incredibly wide range so what you are looking for as far as what a nerdy guy wants will generally have a lot to do with what sort of nerd you are looking for.

Good stuff, Cyrus :D

I lol'd

BTW did you guys hear the most recent study in psychology that girls actually have as much mathematical (and abstract thinking etc.) potential as guys?

Crazy Tosser said:
BTW did you guys hear the most recent study in psychology that girls actually have as much mathematical (and abstract thinking etc.) potential as guys?

I guess that all those studies are just full of crap. What the hell it has to do with the gender ... people become good at things in which they put their effort.

rootX said:
I guess that all those studies are just full of crap. What the hell it has to do with the gender ... people become good at things in which they put their effort.

It was thought before that the male brain actually has more logical/mathematical/artistic potential and is overall better than the female brain. And now we find out it was a load of bull, that's right.

According to Dr. Yamaka, women have brain's the size of squirrel.

MissSilvy said:
And sayings are always correct? You can easily say that people need to be similar for a relationship to work ;)

That's not a saying. Who says that? I've never heard anyone say that. How can a such a pretty girl...have such lousy posts?

cyrus said:
how can a such a pretty girl...have such lousy posts?

rofl!

MissSilvy said:
what qualities do 'nerdy' boys like in girls?

I am married to a nerdy man who said he was interested in me because he felt that "his words were landing". When I met him in a party he explained to me what it was a fractal, and I was sincerely fascinated about what he was saying.

LydiaAC said:
When I met him in a party he explained to me what it was a fractal, and I was sincerely fascinated about what he was saying.

So, what is a fractal?

Cyrus said:
How can a such a pretty girl...have such lousy posts?

I make up for my lousy, womanish opinions with my huge jugs and large fun bags :D

MissSilvy said:
I make up for my lousy, womanish opinions with my huge jugs and large fun bags :D

Wait a minute... are "huge jugs" and "large fun bags' referring to different pieces of female anatomy?

If so, I definitely need to date more often...

:confused:

G01 said:
Wait a minute... are "huge jugs" and "large fun bags' referring to different pieces of female anatomy?

They are quantum-mechanically the same thing. But different.
Expanding on that, huge jugs have a definite position on the female body, while large fun bags are wave-like and have a tendency to blur your vision and thus their size is impossible to measure since they can take up your entire visual cortex. They both interfere with the ability to think clearly and logically and create a large vector field in your body, causing all blood to flow into the center of your pathetic nerdy existence.

Last edited:
G01 said:

No. She has capacious liquid dispensing utensils and extremely commodious bags of goodies for parties.

Kurdt said:
No. She has capacious liquid dispensing utensils and extremely commodious bags of goodies for parties.

Oh, that clears it up then...:rolleyes:

G01 said:
Oh, that clears it up then...:rolleyes:
T&A man, T&A...

Beautiful, Rich, HUGE tracts of land...

Math Is Hard said:
Sounds like Montana, Big Sky country

Reminds me of

O beautiful, for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!

or

Oh give me a home,
Where the buffalo roam,
and the dear and the antelope play.
Where seldom is heard
A discouraging word
And the skies are not cloudy all day!

:biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:

Montypython!

Another way to make a nerd fall in love with you is to correctly use movie references.
Srs.

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
According to Dr. Yamaka, women have brain's the size of squirrel.

I could not concentrate on what this old man was saying.

I like how when MissSilva started this thread, Evo was the first person to respond... I expected nothing less. That and Cyrus mocking every woman and even that CrazyTosser with his responses.. it wouldn't be a 'dating thread' in PF without it.

That out of the way and hopefully grabbing the attention of the frequent readers, I'll throw my hat into the ring.

When I considered myself a nerd, I found it very difficult to ask women out to do thing with me.. I just excessively mocked them to cover up my insecurity, kind of like Cyrus does.. except the girls seem to like it on here? Oh, how I love the anonymity and animosity of internet advice..

Back to the basic question though: What do 'nerdy' guys like in women? excuse me.. like in girls.. I believe was the term.

I honestly have to laugh at this question. I have a lot of 'nerdy' friends, some might consider me a nerd.. whatever.. but the thing they have in common is: if a girl can stand their nerdiness and is nice to them and they have enough in common, then we have a classic case of FFS. First ____ Syndrome. That's no joke. That's true, I've seen it happen.. a few times now with friends.

But seriously, if you break free of the first and are lost in the single world, no worries. If you can find any random girl/guy that can put up with your quirks, you have a decent shot of having something.

And if the girl is really 'dominate', she can reel nerds in like fish in a barrel. So dominate girls that are reading this, simply walk up to any 'nerd' that looks worth the time of getting to know. Easy as that.

Crazy Tosser said:
So, what is a fractal?

He said:
When you solve an integral, you see your function with a microscope so that the curves become lines.
I said:
Yes, and it is very easy to get the area of a rectangle.
He said:
So, if you have a fractal, no matter how powerful is the microscope, you will never see a simple line, you will keep seeing "cartoons".

LydiaAC

mikeknick04 said:
When I considered myself a nerd, I found it very difficult to ask women out to do thing with me.. I just excessively mocked them to cover up my insecurity, kind of like Cyrus does.. except the girls seem to like it on here?

There's a difference between a flirty, funny, cocky way of "mocking" girls, and being creepy/annoying about it.

LydiaAC said:
He said:
When you solve an integral, you see your function with a microscope so that the curves become lines.
I said:
He said:
So, if you have a fractal, no matter how powerful is the microscope, you will never see a simple line, you will keep seeing "cartoons".

LydiaAC

I see, so this conversation was after how many shots of vodka?

Crazy Tosser said:
I see, so this conversation was after how many shots of vodka?

So, what is vodka?

LydiaAC

Men do not know what they want. They are mysterious beings.
Check this story
http://gaceta.cicese.mx/ver.php?topico=articulos&ejemplar=122&id=232 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
mikeknick04 said:
When I considered myself a nerd, I found it very difficult to ask women out to do thing with me.. I just excessively mocked them to cover up my insecurity, kind of like Cyrus does.. except the girls seem to like it on here? Oh, how I love the anonymity and animosity of internet advice..

I hardly enjoy Cyrus' stereotypical comments but sarcasm is a coping mechanism and taking him seriously seems to do diddly-squat so what else can you do?

I appreciate your input. Mocking girls in real life would get you a kick in the pants, not any sort of enjoyment, just trust me on this one. :)

MissSilvy said:
I hardly enjoy Cyrus' stereotypical comments

In the north of Mexico, almost all men make stereotypical comments. It is assumed that if they do not do it, they are gays, and for them being gay is worse than being a murder.
The socially expected answer from women is a nice "hee,hee,hee". Almost any other answer can lead to you being labeled as a radical feminist and to be ostracized.
In addition, most people, men and women understand feminism as "the doctrine of superiority of women" and are very urged to clear that they "hate such a thing".
LydiaAC

MissSilvy said:
I enjoy Cyrus' stereotypical. He's the most amazing man ever...in bed.

mikeknick04, you're a creep.

How can such a pretty girl....have such GREAT posts?

mikeknick04 said:
I like how when MissSilva started this thread, Evo was the first person to respond... I expected nothing less. That and Cyrus mocking every woman and even that CrazyTosser with his responses.. it wouldn't be a 'dating thread' in PF without it.

That out of the way and hopefully grabbing the attention of the frequent readers, I'll throw my hat into the ring.

When I considered myself a nerd, I found it very difficult to ask women out to do thing with me.. I just excessively mocked them to cover up my insecurity, kind of like Cyrus does.. except the girls seem to like it on here? Oh, how I love the anonymity and animosity of internet advice..that.

HAHAHAAHAHAhah, oooooo boy. That's rich. You think I mock girls. HI-LARI-OUS.

I think you should keep your comments about how I talk to others to yourself until you've actually met me and can make such qualifiying statements. Otherwise, it comes off as foolish. Just a suggestion.

He said:
I said:
He said:

Greatest. Pick up lines. Ever.

Cyrus said:
I think you should keep your comments about how I talk to others to yourself until you've actually met me and can make such qualifiying statements.
Without condoning or condemning the poster, his post is qualified ("the girls ... on here") to a scope that is within his purvue. o:)

Oh dear, guys it's all in good fun. It's just an internet forum. I'm sure Cyrus is charming in real life, no matter what odd online persona he likes to take on. No use getting upset about something like this; it's better to be upset with things worth worrying about (like that UPS lost my textbook order and I have one week until class starts).

<h2>1. What qualities do nerdy guys look for in a girl?</h2><p>Nerdy guys often look for intelligence, a good sense of humor, shared interests, and a genuine personality in a girl. They also appreciate someone who is open-minded and curious about the world.</p><h2>2. Do nerdy guys prefer a certain appearance in girls?</h2><p>Nerdy guys do not have a specific preference for appearance in girls. They are more interested in a girl's personality and shared interests. However, many nerdy guys do appreciate someone who takes care of themselves and presents themselves well.</p><h2>3. Are nerdy guys attracted to outgoing or introverted girls?</h2><p>Nerdy guys can be attracted to both outgoing and introverted girls. It ultimately depends on the individual preferences of the guy. Some may enjoy the energy and social skills of an outgoing girl, while others may appreciate the quiet and thoughtful nature of an introverted girl.</p><h2>4. Do nerdy guys like girls who are into the same nerdy things as them?</h2><p>Many nerdy guys do appreciate a girl who shares their interests and passions. However, it is not a requirement for them to be interested in the same things. They may also enjoy introducing their interests to someone who is open to learning about them.</p><h2>5. How can I attract a nerdy guy?</h2><p>The best way to attract a nerdy guy is to be yourself and show genuine interest in their passions and hobbies. Be confident in your intelligence and don't be afraid to engage in deep conversations. Also, don't be afraid to show your own nerdy side and share your own interests with them.</p>

1. What qualities do nerdy guys look for in a girl?

Nerdy guys often look for intelligence, a good sense of humor, shared interests, and a genuine personality in a girl. They also appreciate someone who is open-minded and curious about the world.

2. Do nerdy guys prefer a certain appearance in girls?

Nerdy guys do not have a specific preference for appearance in girls. They are more interested in a girl's personality and shared interests. However, many nerdy guys do appreciate someone who takes care of themselves and presents themselves well.

3. Are nerdy guys attracted to outgoing or introverted girls?

Nerdy guys can be attracted to both outgoing and introverted girls. It ultimately depends on the individual preferences of the guy. Some may enjoy the energy and social skills of an outgoing girl, while others may appreciate the quiet and thoughtful nature of an introverted girl.

4. Do nerdy guys like girls who are into the same nerdy things as them?

Many nerdy guys do appreciate a girl who shares their interests and passions. However, it is not a requirement for them to be interested in the same things. They may also enjoy introducing their interests to someone who is open to learning about them.

5. How can I attract a nerdy guy?

The best way to attract a nerdy guy is to be yourself and show genuine interest in their passions and hobbies. Be confident in your intelligence and don't be afraid to engage in deep conversations. Also, don't be afraid to show your own nerdy side and share your own interests with them.