Supplementary Textbooks for Electromagnetics & Thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for alternative textbooks for their Electromagnetism and Thermodynamics classes. They are not satisfied with the recommended textbook for the EM class, "Electricity Magnetism and Light" by Wayne Saslow, and are looking for other options that are not as densely packed. They are also seeking recommendations for a textbook for their Thermodynamics class, with the prerequisite knowledge being a decent understanding of partial differential equations. Two suggested textbooks are "Electromagnetism" by Griffiths and "Thermodynamics" by Schroeder, with the latter being noted for its clear discussions but lack of examples and solutions.
nickm4
Can anyone recommend supplementary texts books for Electromagnetism and Thermodynamics? I'm looking for some alternatives to my recommended textbooks. The first class is an electromagnetics class. This class is heavily calculus based and consists of building up concepts that culminate to maxwell equaitons. The recommened text for this class is "electricity magnetism and light" by wayne saslow. I really don't like the presentation of the material in this book because it is very tightl packed. I find it very difficult to absorb. I am looking for an alternative book/s, old or new, its not a big deal. If i can find it used on amazon, all the better. The second class is "classical thermodynamics". Prereqs assume decent knowledge of the workings of partial differential equations, so I am assuming this making it from where from novice to intermediate level thermodynamics. I do not know the recommened text for this class so I don't know what to compare it too. Any suggestions would be useful. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

EM - Griffiths
TH - Schroeder

I strongly support Howers's recommendations. I used Griffiths to supplement my E&M book (Wangsness) and found it very useful. Schroeder is a wonderful source for gaining insight with clear discussions on the major topics. Be warned, though: Schroeder has few examples and no solutions at the back of the book, so perhaps it's not the best choice if you're looking for extra problems to work.

Griffiths is the way to go for EM.

What are supplementary textbooks for Electromagnetics & Thermodynamics?

Supplementary textbooks for Electromagnetics & Thermodynamics are additional learning materials that provide extra information and practice problems for students studying these subjects. They are meant to supplement the main textbook used in the course.

Why are supplementary textbooks important for learning Electromagnetics & Thermodynamics?

Supplementary textbooks can offer more in-depth explanations and examples that may not be covered in the main textbook. They can also provide additional practice problems for students to reinforce their understanding of the material.

How do I choose the right supplementary textbook for Electromagnetics & Thermodynamics?

When choosing a supplementary textbook, consider the topics covered in your course and the level of detail you are looking for. It may also be helpful to read reviews and ask for recommendations from your instructor or peers.

Can I use multiple supplementary textbooks for Electromagnetics & Thermodynamics?

Yes, you can use multiple supplementary textbooks as long as they cover different topics and complement your main textbook. Just be mindful not to overwhelm yourself with too many resources.

Are there any free online resources for supplementary textbooks in Electromagnetics & Thermodynamics?

Yes, there are many free online resources such as lecture notes, practice problems, and video tutorials that can serve as supplementary materials for learning Electromagnetics & Thermodynamics. However, it is always recommended to consult with your instructor before relying solely on these resources.