Light: Transverse Waves or Photons?

In summary, light is not a transverse wave, but rather an electromagnetic wave, which is a disturbance of the electromagnetic field. While transverse waves cannot travel through a medium without rigidity, electromagnetic waves can travel through gas and liquid because they are not a physical distortion of the medium. However, there are some exceptions where light can behave as a longitudinal wave.
385sk117
I heard that transverse wave can not travel trough gas and liquid then how can light travel through all the way to earth?
Is it because the light is the collection of small energy particles called photon and not just behave as the normal waves?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that you are confused between different types of waves.

You must distinguish between the waves which travel through a medium as a disturbance, i.e. a physical distortion of the medium (typically gas, liquid or solid), and the electromagnetic waves which are a disturbance of the electromagnetic field.

Transverse waves of the former type (also called S-waves in seismology) cannot travel through a medium that has no rigidity. Light is not of this variety of wave; light is an electromagnetic wave. Perhaps someone with more knowledge in this area could elaborate on what exactly a transverse electromagnetic wave is -- I am unsure on this and am curious -- however, I would wager that if such a wave type exists that it would have no problem traveling through liquid or gas.

Transverse just means that the polarization of the wave lies in a plane perpendicular to the direction of motion. Longitudinal waves are polarized in the direction of motion. The polarization is the direction of the oscillations. In the case of an EM wave it is the electric and magnetic field oscillations. In the case of sound, the pressure wave oscillates in the direction of travel.

So it will be easy for me to think that the light has the property of transverse wave but not all of them right?
Thankyou guys!

Ummm... well...

Light is for the most part a transverse wave with a few exceptions. Certain surface wave modes, like the Zenneck surface wave, and plasma modes are longitudinal and I have heard that some cavity modes can be longitudinal.

1. What is the difference between transverse waves and photons?

Transverse waves are a type of mechanical wave that travels through a medium by vibrating perpendicular to the direction of the wave. Photons, on the other hand, are particles of light that have energy, momentum, and wavelength. They do not require a medium to travel and can travel through a vacuum.

2. How does light travel through space?

Light travels through space as a series of electromagnetic waves. These waves have an electric field and a magnetic field that oscillate perpendicular to each other and to the direction of the wave. This allows light to travel through the vacuum of space without the need for a medium.

3. What determines the color of light?

The color of light is determined by its wavelength. The shorter the wavelength, the higher the energy and the bluer the light appears. The longer the wavelength, the lower the energy and the redder the light appears. All colors of light are present in white light, and the color we see depends on the combination and intensity of the different wavelengths.

4. Do all light waves have the same speed?

Yes, all light waves travel at the same speed in a vacuum, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is known as the speed of light and is a fundamental constant in physics.

5. How do photons interact with matter?

When a photon encounters matter, it can either be absorbed, reflected, or transmitted. The interaction depends on the properties of the material and the wavelength of the photon. For example, opaque materials like wood and metal will absorb most of the photons, while transparent materials like glass will allow them to pass through. This interaction is what allows us to see objects and colors around us.