How, in GOD'S NAME, does one pronounce Wolf-Rayet

• Thread starter Astrofiend
  • Start date
In summary, the pronunciation of "Rayet" in "Wolf-Rayet star" can vary depending on personal preference and cultural background. Some possible pronunciations are "ray-ay", "ray-et", "ry-yet", and "ry-eee". However, the accepted French pronunciation is "ray-eee", with the a sound similar to the word "gras". Ultimately, the pronunciation used may depend on the audience and individual preference.
Astrofiend
How, in GOD'S NAME, does one pronounce "Wolf-Rayet"

Very simple question - how is "Rayet" as in "Wolf-Rayet star" pronounced? I've heard:

- "Ray-ay"
- "Ray-et"
- "Ry-yet"
- "Ry-eee"

Somebody must know what the accepted French pronunciation is!

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Astrofiend said:
Very simple question - how is "Rayet" as in "Wolf-Rayet star" pronounced? I've heard:

- "Ray-ay"
- "Ray-et"
- "Ry-yet"
- "Ry-eee"

Somebody must know what the accepted French pronunciation is!

I say there! If what I want is the French pronunciation, then I say Rayet to rhyme with "I say".

Sometimes French pronunciation can sound affected though, so try to gauge your audience and pronounce it the way they expect and feel comfortable with.

Do you give Einstein the German pronunciation with a big juicy "shtein"? Or do you use the anglicized "stein"?

Last edited:

Yeah - got to say I love to go the big 'shtein' there...

hi there,

i learned french in school and i would pronounce it "ray-eee", the a sounds like in gras with an GB accent. It should be this way because most words in french that end with et are pronounced "eee". But its difficult to say cause names are special cases in every country. so it could also be "ray-et".

just pronounce it as borat would and everybody will think its aaaight ;)

Astrofiend said:
"Ray-et"

That's how I pronounce it.

Hmmm - three replies and three different answers! I guess that any way is fine!

1. How do you pronounce "Wolf-Rayet"?

The correct pronunciation is "woolf ray-ay".

2. Is it pronounced as two separate words or one word?

It is pronounced as one word, with emphasis on the second syllable ("ray-ay").

3. What does the "et" at the end of "Wolf-Rayet" indicate?

The "et" is a French word meaning "and", indicating that this type of star is a combination of two types of stars: a Wolf-Rayet star and a companion star.

4. Are there any variations in pronunciation?

Some people may pronounce it as "woolf ray-et" with emphasis on the first syllable, but the most commonly accepted pronunciation is "woolf ray-ay".

5. Why is it named "Wolf-Rayet"?

It is named after the two French astronomers who first observed and classified this type of star in the late 19th century, Charles Wolf and Georges Rayet.