Grad Algebra 1 & 2 Textbook: Amazon Reviews and Advice

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's plan to take graduate algebra 1 and 2 classes as an undergraduate and their search for a recommended book. The recommended book covers topics such as groups, rings, and modules, and has received positive reviews. Another student recommends a free graduate-level algebra book available online, while someone else suggests Saunders Mac Lane's book for its coverage of multilinear algebra. Overall, the conversation highlights the availability of various resources for self-study in algebra.
cap.r
hey I am going to take the graduate algebra 1 and 2 classes as an undergrad and am trying to buy a book and start reading to be prepared.

algebra 1 is listed to include
Groups with operators, homomorphism and isomorphism theorems, normal series, Sylow theorems, free groups, Abelian groups, rings, integral domains, fields, modules. Topics may include HOM (A,B), Tensor products, exterior algebra
the recommended book is https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471433349/?tag=pfamazon01-20

same book for algebra 2 but the topics are
Field theory, Galois theory, multilinear algebra. Further topics from: Dedekind domains, Noetherian domains, rings with minimum condition, homological algebra

so should I just go with that book or is there a good classic text I can use for self study and just buy this one if the prof assigns homework from it. from the reviews it seems to be a solid book and even for self study it should be good. just wanted to hear what you guys think.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
wow good stuff thanks for the link. I actually ordered it off amazon to encourage him to keep writing stuff and making it public. the book has so much material in it I will be referencing to it for years. and for only $18 it's a no brainier it would cost that much for me to print and bind the pages myself

I would recommend Saunders Mac Lane's book simply titled Algebra for your purposes. It covers the majority of what you are looking for in depth and rigor, introducing also categories.

Also, it is one of the only general algebra books that I know of that covers multilinear algebra; most others seem to cover only linear.

1. What are the main topics covered in the Grad Algebra 1 & 2 Textbook?

The Grad Algebra 1 & 2 Textbook covers topics such as linear equations and inequalities, functions, polynomials, quadratic equations, matrices, and exponential and logarithmic functions. It also includes topics on graphing, systems of equations, and complex numbers.

2. Is the textbook suitable for graduate level algebra courses?

Yes, the Grad Algebra 1 & 2 Textbook is designed specifically for graduate level algebra courses. It provides a comprehensive coverage of advanced algebra topics and is suitable for students with a strong foundation in basic algebra.

3. Are there any additional resources included with the textbook?

Yes, the Grad Algebra 1 & 2 Textbook comes with access to online resources such as practice problems, quizzes, and interactive learning tools. These resources can be used to supplement the material in the textbook and enhance the learning experience.

4. Are there any reviews or ratings for the textbook?

Yes, the Grad Algebra 1 & 2 Textbook has received numerous positive reviews and ratings on Amazon. Many students and instructors have praised its clear explanations, comprehensive coverage, and helpful practice problems.

5. Can the textbook be used for self-study or is it better suited for classroom use?

The Grad Algebra 1 & 2 Textbook can be used for both self-study and classroom use. It is written in a clear and accessible manner, making it suitable for students who prefer to learn on their own. It also includes exercises and examples that can be used in a classroom setting.