Current density of a moving conductor or conducting fluid

In summary, the current density at the origin of the inertial frame is proportional to the Coulomb force.
omyojj
I beg you to understand my poor Eng..
If there is any poor grammar or spelling..please correct me..

While studying MHD with "An Introduction to Magnetohydrodynamics" written by Davidson,
I encountered the term 'current density'..
As you know well, empirically,
[tex]
\mathbf{J} = \sigma \mathbf{E}
[/tex]
with electric field being measured in a frame of reference in which the charged test particle is at rest.

It says
This is an empirical law which, for stationary conductors, takes the form [tex] \mathbf{J} = \sigma \mathbf{E} [/tex], where [tex] \mathbf{E} [/tex] is the electric field and [tex] \mathbf{J} [/tex] the current density. We interpret this as [tex] \mathbf{J} [/tex] being proportional to the Coulomb force [tex]\mathbf{f} = q\mathbf{E}[/tex] which acts on the free charge carriers, [tex] q[/tex] being their charge. If, however, the conductor is moving in a magnetic field with velocity [tex]\mathbf{u}[/tex], the free charges will experience an additional force, [tex] q\mathbf{u} \times \mathbf{B} [/tex] and Ohm's law becomes
[tex] \mathbf{J} = \sigma ( \mathbf{E} + \mathbf{u} \times \mathbf{B} ) [/tex]

I can't understand this "empirical" Ohm's law for moving conductor(or conducting fluid) because, to my knowledge, [tex] \mathbf{J}(\mathbf{r},t) = \rho_e(\mathbf{r},t)\mathbf{v}(\mathbf{r},t) [/tex] is thought to be the more fundamental definition of current density. It is basically a vector having the (net) direction of charged particles drift velocity..
But [tex] \mathbf{u} \times \mathbf{B} [/tex] clearly does not coincide in direction with [tex] \mathbf{u} [/tex]..

Also, I'd like to raise a question about the e.m.f. generated by a relative movemnet of the imposed magnetic field and the moving fluid. Why is it of order [tex] |\mathbf{u} \times \mathbf{B}| [/tex]? Does it come from Faraday's law?

Physics news on Phys.org
I couldn't understand all your doubts

i will post some comments which may help

the current density vector [tex]
\mathbf{J}(\mathbf{r},t)
[/tex]
need not be in the direction of u, it can be found in any direction. so u x B may not necessarily coincide with u.

may be in a wire the J is maximum in direction of u and it is of interest

the magnetic force component u x B is also responsible for genrating an emf. the equation used to arrive to this result should be faraday and maxwells equation.

i would like to read some material and give you a concrete explanation

In J = σ·E, σ is electrical conductance (ohm-m)-1.

In F = σ·V(E + v x B), σ is charge density (Coulombs per unit volume).

I think.

Bob S

suppose that the prescribed magnetic field [tex] \mathbf{B} = B_0 \hat{\mathbf{z}} [/tex] is present..and suppose that ,at time t, at the origin of the inertial frame, a particle with charge q moves along the y-direction with velocity u..then the Lorentz force due to magnetic field is in the x-direction..and there is e.m.f generated around the origin..

then what is the current density at the origin at that time? is it not just [tex]q\mathbf{u}[/tex]?

1. What is current density?

Current density is a measure of the amount of electric current flowing through a specific area in a conductor or conducting fluid. It is typically denoted by the symbol J and is expressed in units of amperes per square meter (A/m2).

2. How is current density calculated?

Current density is calculated by dividing the current (I) by the cross-sectional area (A) of the conductor or fluid. The formula for current density is J = I/A. This means that current density is directly proportional to the current and inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area.

3. How does the current density change in a moving conductor or conducting fluid?

In a moving conductor or conducting fluid, the current density will vary at different points depending on the velocity of the particles. As the particles move faster, the current density will increase, and as they slow down, the current density will decrease.

4. What is the relationship between current density and resistance?

Current density and resistance are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the current density increases, the resistance decreases, and vice versa. It is important to note that this is only true for materials with constant resistivity.

5. How is current density important in practical applications?

Current density has important implications in practical applications, such as the design and operation of electrical circuits and devices. It is also a crucial factor in determining the heat and power dissipation in conductors and can help in predicting the behavior of conducting fluids in various industrial processes.