Find Point C Given Line L and Distance to B

• Thread starter Telemachus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line Point
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a point, C, on a line, L, with known coordinates and distance to another point, B. The solution involves setting up an equation for the distance between the two points and solving for x. It is mentioned that there are two possible values for x since there are two points on the line that satisfy the equation.
Telemachus
Hi there. I'm tryin to find a point, let's call it C. I'm working on a R². What I know is that the point belongs to the line L: [tex]y=\displaystyle\frac{x}{2}+\displaystyle\frac{1}{2}[/tex] And that the distance to the point B(1,1), that belongs to L is [tex]\sqrt[ ]{20}[/tex].

How can I find it? I know there are two points, cause of the distance over the line.

I've tried to solve it using the distance pythagoric equation, but I don't know how to use the fact that B and C belongs to the same line.

Physics news on Phys.org

Telemachus said:
Hi there. I'm tryin to find a point, let's call it C. I'm working on a R². What I know is that the point belongs to the line L: [tex]y=\displaystyle\frac{x}{2}+\displaystyle\frac{1}{2}[/tex] And that the distance to the point B(1,1), that belongs to L is [tex]\sqrt[ ]{20}[/tex].

How can I find it? I know there are two points, cause of the distance over the line.

I've tried to solve it using the distance pythagoric equation, but I don't know how to use the fact that B and C belongs to the same line.

Every point on line L has coordinates (x, x/2 + 1/2). Set up an expression that represents the distance between this point and (1, 1), and set that expression to sqrt(20). Then solve the equation for x.

You should get two values for x, since there are two points on the line that are sqrt(20) units away from (1, 1).

Thanks Mark44. Heres my attempt to solve it:

[tex]\sqrt[ ]{20}=\sqrt[ ]{(1-x_0)^2+(1-y_0)^2}[/tex]

[tex](1-x_0)^2+(1-y_0)^2=20[/tex]

So, I know that for any value of [tex]x_0[/tex], [tex]y_0[/tex] must be [tex]y_0=x_0/2 + 1/2[/tex] and I know [tex](1-x_0)^2+(1-y_0)^2=20[/tex]

Solving the system should I get the two values?

Bye there, and thanks again.

Well, you can do that in one equation.
[tex]\sqrt{20}=\sqrt[ ]{(1-x_0)^2+(1-x_0/2 - 1/2)^2}[/tex]

Yes, you should get two values for x0.

Thank you.

1. How do I find point C given a line L and the distance to point B?

To find point C, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. First, draw a perpendicular line from point B to line L. Then, use the distance from B to C as the hypotenuse, and the distance from the perpendicular line to C as one of the legs. Finally, use the Pythagorean theorem to solve for the remaining leg, which will be the distance from point C to line L.

2. Can I use any method other than the Pythagorean theorem to find point C?

Yes, there are other methods you can use to find point C. One method is to use the slope-intercept form of a line to find the equation of line L. Then, use the distance formula to find the coordinates of point C that satisfy the equation of line L and are the specified distance from point B.

3. What information do I need to know in order to find point C?

In order to find point C, you need to know the equation of line L and the distance from point B to point C. You may also need to know the coordinates of point B, depending on the method you choose to use.

4. Is it possible to have more than one point C that satisfies the given conditions?

Yes, it is possible to have more than one point C that satisfies the given conditions. This typically occurs when line L is not a horizontal or vertical line, and there are two points on the line that are the specified distance from point B.

5. How can I check if my calculated point C is correct?

You can check if your calculated point C is correct by plugging in the coordinates of point C into the equation of line L and seeing if the distance from point B to point C matches the specified distance. You can also plot the points on a graph and visually check if point C is the correct distance from point B on line L.