Particles in our universe undetectable by us

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of particles existing in the same universe as us with their own fundamental forces that do not interact with our particles. It is questioned whether these particles could exist without us being aware of them and whether this concept falls under philosophy rather than physics. It is suggested that these particles could potentially create another universe within our own.
ufarad
Is there any reason that there could not be particles in the same universe as us that had their own fundamental forces of strong nuclear, electroweak, and gravity equivalent to those we know and love but which did not affect our particles nor ours theirs all around us (i.e., totally undetectable by us but nevertheless right there in front of us)? At first, I was thinking that on the one hand since most of an atom is empty space, if two particles didn't exert any force on each other, the likelihood of collision would probably be very low, but then I thought to myself, what IS a collision if two particles don't even recognize each other's mass or fundamental forces at all?

Space news on Phys.org
If they are totally undetectable by us, and don't interact with our universe in any way, then there is no way to prove whether they even exist or not, and it becomes a question of philosophy and not one of physics.

My friend, that is why I posted this thought in the philosophy section.

Particles like that would... basically be the makings of another universe, much as a different weight for the proton would be. Different, but equivalent forces that have no interaction with our universe would be a decent definition of a parallel universe occupying the same space.

There is currently no evidence to suggest the existence of particles in our universe that are entirely undetectable by us. However, as a scientist, it is important to always keep an open mind and consider all possibilities.

One possible reason for the existence of undetectable particles could be that they have different properties or interactions than the particles we are familiar with. For example, they may have a different charge or spin, making them invisible to our current detection methods. Another possibility is that these particles only interact with each other and not with the particles we are able to detect, making them undetectable by us.

It is also important to consider the scale at which these undetectable particles may exist. If they are on a much smaller scale than our current detection methods can reach, it is possible that we simply do not have the technology to detect them yet.

Overall, while it is currently not possible to definitively rule out the existence of undetectable particles in our universe, we must continue to conduct research and gather evidence to support any claims about their existence.

1. What are particles in our universe that are undetectable by us?

Undetectable particles in our universe refer to subatomic particles that are too small or too elusive to be directly observed or measured by current technology or scientific methods.

2. How do scientists study particles that are undetectable by us?

Scientists use indirect methods such as mathematical models, theoretical predictions, and observations of their effects on other particles or the universe as a whole to study undetectable particles.

3. Why are some particles in our universe undetectable by us?

Some particles may be undetectable due to their extremely small size, short lifespan, or because they do not interact with other particles in a way that can be measured.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with undetectable particles in our universe?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that undetectable particles pose any significant risks to our universe or to human health. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology may provide more insight into this question in the future.

5. Can undetectable particles be detected in the future?

It is possible that with advancements in technology and scientific methods, some undetectable particles may be detected in the future. However, it is also possible that some particles may remain undetectable due to their elusive nature and limitations of human technology.