Euler-Lagrange Field Theory Question

In summary: I have that the first term in the stress tensor is \frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu\phi)}\partial^\nu\phi=\partial^\mu\phi\partial^\nu\phi But I don't know how to treat the second part, i.e. g^{\mu\nu}L=g^{\mu\nu}(\frac{1}{2}\partial_\lambda\phi\partial^\lambda\phi + \frac{1}{3}\sigma\phi^3)=?You need to solve for g^{\mu\nu}. \partial_\mu
jameson2

Homework Statement

Given the the Lagrangian density [tex] L= \frac{1}{2}\partial_\lambda\phi\partial^\lambda\phi + \frac{1}{3}\sigma\phi^3 [/tex]
(a)Work out the equation of motion.

(b)Calculate from L the stress tensor: [tex] T^{\mu\nu}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu\phi)}\partial^\nu\phi - g^{\mu\nu}L [/tex] where g is diagonal with matrix entries (1,-1,-1,-1).

(c)Find the 4-divergence of the stress tensor, [tex] \partial_\mu T^{\mu\nu} [/tex]

(d)Show that the stress tensor is conserved by demonstrating its 4-divergence is zero when the scalar field obeys its equation of motion i.e.[tex] \partial_\mu T^{\mu\nu} =0 [/tex]

Homework Equations

Euler Lagrange Equation of Motion

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I think that I have this right : [tex] \partial_\mu(\partial^\mu\phi)-\sigma \phi^2=0 [/tex]

(b)I have that the first term in the stress tensor is [tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu\phi)}\partial^\nu\phi=\partial^\mu\phi\partial^\nu\phi [/tex] but I don't know how to treat the second part, i.e. [tex] g^{\mu\nu}L=g^{\mu\nu}(\frac{1}{2}\partial_\lambda\phi\partial^\lambda\phi + \frac{1}{3}\sigma\phi^3)=?[/tex]
I just need to know how to treat the metric tensor g.

Obviously I haven't got to (c) or (d) yet, as I need the answer to (b).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Those two terms make up the stress tensor. There isn't anything in particular that you can do to simplify it.

So my stress tensor is:
[tex] T^{\mu\nu}=\partial^\mu\phi\partial^\nu\phi-g^{\nu\mu}L [/tex].

I think I'm close to getting the last parts:
[tex] \partial_\mu T^{\mu\nu} = \partial_\mu(\partial^\mu\phi\partial^\nu\phi)-g^{\mu\nu}\partial_\mu(\frac{1}{2}\partial_\lambda\phi\partial^\lambda\phi+\frac{1}{3}\sigma\phi^3) = \partial^\mu\phi\partial_\mu(\partial^\nu\phi) + \partial^\nu\phi\partial_\mu(\partial^\mu\phi) - g^{\mu\nu}(\frac{1}{2}\partial^\lambda\phi\partial_\mu(\partial_\lambda\phi)+\frac{1}{2}\partial_\lambda\phi\partial_\mu(\partial^\lambda\phi) + 0) [/tex]

and then if it obeys the equation of motion;

[tex] \partial_\mu T^{\mu\nu} = 2\sigma \phi^2\partial^\nu\phi - g^{\mu\nu}[\frac{1}{2}\delta^\mu_\lambda\sigma\phi^2\partial_\lambda\phi + \frac{1}{2}\delta^\mu_\lambda\sigma\phi^2\partial_\lambda\phi] [/tex]

but this doesn't seem to equal zero, as required in the last part...

[tex] \partial_\mu T^{\mu\nu} = 2\sigma \phi^2\partial^\nu\phi -\sigma \phi^2\partial^\nu\phi =\sigma \phi^2\partial^\nu\phi [/tex]

It seems as if I only have something slightly wrong, which is annoying.

Actually, it works out if I do is this way. When I'm applying the partial derivative to the second term of the stress tensor, is this how you do it? [tex] \partial_\mu (g^{\mu\nu}L) = \partial_\mu(g^{\mu\nu}) L + g^{\mu\nu} \partial_\mu L [/tex] I'm not sure if this is ok though. I use in the next line [tex] \partial_\mu(g^{\mu\nu})= \partial^\nu [/tex] which I'm not sure of.

The metric is constant. so

[tex]
\partial_\mu (g^{\mu\nu}L) = \partial_\mu(g^{\mu\nu}) L + g^{\mu\nu} \partial_\mu L = \partial^\nu L
[/tex]

I think you also left out a term in [tex]\partial_\mu T^{\mu\nu}[/tex] that is of the form [tex]\partial^\nu (\phi^3)[/tex] (it's what should be in place of +0 in the 2nd equation of post #3) that should cancel the term you had left over.

I was thinking that since [tex] \phi [/tex] is a scalar field, the derivative is just zero. I guess that's wrong then.

jameson2 said:
I was thinking that since [tex] \phi [/tex] is a scalar field, the derivative is just zero. I guess that's wrong then.

Being a scalar in this context means that the field [tex]\phi(x^\mu)[/tex] is invariant under Lorentz transformations. It doesn't mean that it is constant on spacetime.

Got it, thank you very much for your help.

1. What is Euler-Lagrange Field Theory?

Euler-Lagrange Field Theory is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of physical systems in terms of fields. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the path a physical system takes between two points is the one that minimizes the action, a quantity that combines the system's kinetic and potential energies.

2. What are the main applications of Euler-Lagrange Field Theory?

Euler-Lagrange Field Theory has many applications in physics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum field theory. It is also used in engineering and other fields to model and analyze complex systems.

3. How does Euler-Lagrange Field Theory differ from other theories?

Euler-Lagrange Field Theory differs from other theories, such as Newtonian mechanics, in that it describes the behavior of systems in terms of fields rather than individual particles. This allows for a more elegant and comprehensive description of physical systems.

4. What are the key equations in Euler-Lagrange Field Theory?

The key equations in Euler-Lagrange Field Theory are the Euler-Lagrange equations, which are a set of partial differential equations that describe the evolution of a field over time. These equations are derived from the principle of least action and are used to solve for the field's behavior in a given system.

5. What are some current developments in Euler-Lagrange Field Theory?

There are ongoing developments in Euler-Lagrange Field Theory, particularly in its application to quantum field theory and high energy physics. There are also efforts to extend the theory to incorporate other phenomena, such as dark matter and dark energy, into its framework.