Defining Bilinear, Multilinear Maps (Tensor Prod., maybe)

• Thread starter Bacle
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the uniqueness of linear maps and bilinear maps in a finite-dimensional vector space. It is mentioned that a linear map can be uniquely defined by its action on basis vectors, while a bilinear map can be uniquely defined by its action on pairs of basis vectors. The concept of tensor products and its relation to bilinear maps is also brought up, with the goal of showing that every bilinear map can be represented by a linear map in the tensor product space.
Bacle
Hi, Everyone:

We know that for a fin.dim V.Space , given a basis {v1,..,vn}, then a linear map
T is uniquely defined/specified once we know the values t(v1),T(v2),..,T(vn).

Now, let's consider a bilinear map on VxW (with W not nec. different from V),
both fin. dim. V.spaces over the same field F, with respective bases
{v1,..,vn} and {w1,..,wm}.

I am trying to see what info re the basis vectors of V,W to uniquely determine
a bilinear map defined on VxW. ( we turn VxW into a V.Space over F in the standard
way: basis is {(v1,0),..,(vn,0), (0,w1),..,(0,wm)} , addition is done pairwise, etc.

I know that defining a bilinear map B on the basis alone is not enough to determine
B. What else do we need? I think this has to see with the tensor product V(x)W.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
T is determined by its action on basis vectors because [itex]Tx=T(x_iv_i)=x_iTv_i[/itex]. B is determined by its action on basis vectors because [itex]B(x,y)=x_iy_jB(v_i,w_j)[/itex].

But the pairs (vi,wj) are not basis vectors of VxW; the basis vectors of VxW
are :{(v1,0),..,(vn,0),(0,w1),...,(0,wm)}, so B is determined by its action on
the pairs (vi,wj), not on basis vectors for VxW.

But now the goal is, I think, to show that every bilinear map in VxW can be
represented by a linear map L in V(x)W, by:

L(v(x)w)= B(v,w)

And then I think we need to show that L is actually linear on V(x)W .

Bacle said:
But the pairs (vi,wj) are not basis vectors of VxW; the basis vectors of VxW
are :{(v1,0),..,(vn,0),(0,w1),...,(0,wm)}, so B is determined by its action on
the pairs (vi,wj), not on basis vectors for VxW.
But

[tex]B(v_i,w_j)=B((v_i,0)+(0,w_j))=B(v_i,0)+B(0,w_j)[/tex]

so B ís uniquely determined by its action on basis vectors.

my lucid explanation of tensor products and bilinear maps is in my notes at:

http://www.math.uga.edu/~roy/and a google search will certainly find better sources. but i hope you like mine.

What is a bilinear map?

A bilinear map is a function that takes two vector inputs and produces a scalar output. It is a type of multilinear map, as it involves multiple inputs, but it is specifically defined as a function that is linear in each of its inputs separately.

What is a multilinear map?

A multilinear map is a function with multiple inputs that is linear in each of its inputs separately. It can take any number of inputs, but each input must be a vector or a tensor. Multilinear maps are commonly used in mathematics, physics, and computer science.

What is a tensor product?

A tensor product is a mathematical operation that combines two or more tensors to create a new tensor. It is a generalization of the concept of a product in linear algebra, and it is used to define multilinear maps. The tensor product is denoted by the symbol ⊗.

How are bilinear maps related to tensor products?

Bilinear maps can be defined in terms of tensor products. Specifically, a bilinear map between two vector spaces V and W can be represented as an element of the tensor product V ⊗ W. This allows for a more abstract and general definition of bilinear maps.

What are some applications of bilinear and multilinear maps?

Bilinear and multilinear maps have numerous applications in mathematics and other fields. In physics, they are used to define and study quantum entanglement, and in computer science, they are used in machine learning algorithms and data analysis. They are also used in differential geometry, algebraic geometry, and other areas of mathematics.