Circular motion, grade 12 physics

In summary, this conversation involves two problems. The first problem asks for the period of oscillation for a man about to complete a bungee jump with a spring constant of 150 N/m. Using the relevant equation T= 2(pi)√(m/k), the period is calculated to be 4.54 seconds. The second problem involves calculating the spring constant for a 5.00 kg mass oscillating at a frequency of 0.667 Hz. Using the relevant equations T= 2(pi)√(m/k) and T=(1/f), the spring constant is calculated to be 87.84 N/m.
XxphysicsxX
Problem:
A 78.5kg man is about tocompletea bungee jump. If the bungee cord has a spring constant of 150 N/m, determine the period of oscillation that we will experience.

m= 78.5 Kg
k= 150 N/m
T=?

Relevant equations:
T= 2(pi)√(m/k)

The attempt at a solution
T= 2(pi)√(78.5kg/150 N/m)
I get, T=4.54s

2nd Problem:
A 5.00 kg mass oscillates on a spring with a frequency of 0.667 Hz. Calculate the spring constant.

m= 5.00 Kg
f= 0.667 Hz
k= ?

Relevant equations:
T= 2(pi)√(m/k)
T=(1/f)

The attempt at a solution
T= (1/0.667Hz)
T= 1.499s
T= 2(pi)√(m/k)
I rearange and get:
k=87.84 N/m

If anyone can confirm or let me know if I did something wrong it would be great!
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It all looks okay to me!

Thank you very much for looking over it!

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path, with a constant speed and a changing direction. This means that the object is constantly changing its velocity, but its speed remains the same.

2. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves along a circular path with a constant speed, while non-uniform circular motion is when the object moves with a changing speed.

3. What is the role of centripetal force in circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circular path and is necessary for an object to maintain its circular motion.

4. How is circular motion related to Newton's laws of motion?

Circular motion is related to Newton's laws of motion in that it follows the first law, which states that an object in motion will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. In circular motion, the centripetal force acts as the external force that causes the object to change its direction and maintain its circular path.

5. What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Some examples of circular motion in our daily lives include a car moving around a curve, a Ferris wheel, and a planet orbiting around the sun. The motion of a satellite in its orbit around the Earth is also an example of circular motion.