Mirror Reflections: Exploring the Physics of Photons

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of trapping light indefinitely by reflecting photons off mirrors. However, due to the inability to create perfect mirrors, there will always be some loss of photons and the light will not be trapped forever. Additionally, the time it takes for photons to arrive does not affect this phenomenon. The conversation also mentions other methods of trapping light that have been empirically shown, but it is ultimately meaningless to discuss something that is not possible.
ThalesI
Hi. There's something I don't understand.. and it might be a silly question, but I want an answer.

Light is formed of photons, and photons are reflected off mirrors. If you reflect photons off one mirror onto another mirror, then have that second mirror reflect back onto the first... why don't the photons get 'trapped' forever bouncing back and forth? Considering they took days, months, thousands of years to arrive here from where they were generated.

Confused.

Science news on Phys.org
That sounds like a light clock. It would be trapped, in an ideal mirror configuration.

ThalesI said:
Hi. There's something I don't understand.. and it might be a silly question, but I want an answer.

Light is formed of photons, and photons are reflected off mirrors. If you reflect photons off one mirror onto another mirror, then have that second mirror reflect back onto the first... why don't the photons get 'trapped' forever bouncing back and forth? Considering they took days, months, thousands of years to arrive here from where they were generated.

Confused.

Given perfect mirrors you could make that happen, however we can't make 100% perfect mirrors, so there will always be some photons being lost.

What does the time it took a photon to arrive have to do with this by the way?

Even if mirrors are 99.999% reflective, there are c/L bounces every second. If the mirrors are 10 cm apart then you have 3 billion bounces every second, so all the energy will be lost very very quickly. That's why this is never observed.

Curl said:
Even if mirrors are 99.999% reflective, there are c/L bounces every second. If the mirrors are 10 cm apart then you have 3 billion bounces every second, so all the energy will be lost very very quickly. That's why this is never observed.

I am assuming this also applies to a closed mirrored box correct?

ThalesI said:

Confused.

Something similar can happen for highly scattering disordered materials:

http://www.complexphotonics.org/andersonlocalization.html

LostConjugate said:
It would be trapped, in an ideal mirror configuration.

Drakkith said:
Given perfect mirrors you could make that happen, however we can't make 100% perfect mirrors, so there will always be some photons being lost.

So if we could make an 'ideal' '100%' perfect mirror configuration, we could trap light indefinitely?

Drakkith said:
What does the time it took a photon to arrive have to do with this by the way?

I was just wondering if the energy would be used up in some way, like degrading over time.

Curl said:

Mathematicians always tell me I am stupid for differentiating between 99.999% and 100%! :D I shall remember this example for the next time.

Assuming we could get a 100% reflection, and the photons were thereby trapped, how long would they remain so? Indefinitely?

Thanks all for helping! :)

At some point, it is really meaningless to talk about something that doesn't occur.

There are better ways to http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/27007" that have been shown empricially. There is no need to waste time on things like this.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ said:
At some point, it is really meaningless to talk about something that doesn't occur.

There are better ways to http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/27007" that have been shown empricially. There is no need to waste time on things like this.

Zz.

You are, of course, entitled to not waste your time and thereby to not post in a thread that you consider to be worthless.

For me, I am interested in learning what is possible, not just what actually does occur.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming we could design perfect mirrors the light would remain trapped effectively forever. However, we cannot make perfect mirrors, it simply isn't possible for us.

Drakkith said:
Assuming we could design perfect mirrors the light would remain trapped effectively forever. However, we cannot make perfect mirrors, it simply isn't possible for us.

That's not exactly true- mirrors based on total internal reflection are perfect reflectors. See, for example, optical fibers.

Andy Resnick said:
That's not exactly true- mirrors based on total internal reflection are perfect reflectors. See, for example, optical fibers.

If so, could you design one that would forever reflect light back and forth as in the OP's example?

I think optical fibers aren't 100% reflective either. There is always a probability that some of the light is absorbed (thus increase entropy).

Drakkith said:
If so, could you design one that would forever reflect light back and forth as in the OP's example?

Curl said:
I think optical fibers aren't 100% reflective either. There is always a probability that some of the light is absorbed (thus increase entropy).

I'm not claiming [itex]\infty[/itex] is physically attainable.

Simply consider the magnitude of perfection required in order for light to propagate 15 kilometers through a tube 10 microns in diameter and only lose 50% of the photons.

1. What is the physics behind mirror reflections?

Mirror reflections are a result of the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. This means that the angle at which light hits a mirror will be the same angle at which it bounces off.

2. How do photons play a role in mirror reflections?

Photons are particles of light that are responsible for carrying energy and momentum. When light hits a mirror, the photons are absorbed and then re-emitted in the opposite direction, causing the reflection.

3. Can mirrors reflect all types of light?

No, mirrors can only reflect certain types of light, specifically visible light. This is because mirrors are designed to reflect and absorb specific wavelengths of light, which make up the visible spectrum.

4. How does the surface of a mirror affect its reflection?

The surface of a mirror is crucial in determining the quality of its reflection. A smooth and polished surface will result in a clear and crisp reflection, while a rough or distorted surface will result in a distorted reflection.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding mirror reflections?

Absolutely. Understanding the physics behind mirror reflections is essential in various fields, such as optics, astronomy, and even everyday tasks like applying makeup. It also plays a crucial role in the design and development of advanced technologies like telescopes and solar panels.