What are some recommended books for learning linear algebra?

In summary, linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It is important because it provides a powerful and flexible framework for solving a wide range of mathematical problems, and has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and statistics. Some recommended books for learning linear algebra include "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang, and "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole. Prior knowledge in basic algebra and geometry, as well as familiarity with concepts such as matrices, systems of equations, and vectors, is helpful for studying linear algebra. While not directly applicable to everyday life, the concepts and techniques
achuthan1988
i have ordered introduction to linear algebra by gilbert strang.But i saw it on google books and found it to be touching only the basics.Can anyone recommend anymore books?

Physics news on Phys.org
there are three free books on linear algebra on my website.

http://www.math.uga.edu/~roy/

and lots more better typeset ones out there.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It is used to study and solve problems involving systems of linear equations, matrices, and vectors.

2. Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra is important because it provides a powerful and flexible framework for solving a wide range of mathematical problems. It is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and statistics.

3. What are some good books for learning linear algebra?

Some popular books for learning linear algebra include "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang, and "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole. It is also recommended to check out online resources and lectures to supplement your learning.

4. What skills do I need to have before studying linear algebra?

To effectively study linear algebra, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic algebra and geometry. Familiarity with concepts such as matrices, systems of equations, and vectors will also be helpful.

5. Can I use linear algebra in my daily life?

While linear algebra may not seem directly applicable to everyday life, its concepts and techniques have many practical applications. For example, it can be used in computer graphics, data analysis, and financial modeling. Additionally, learning linear algebra can improve problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.