Logic circuits for boolean functions

In summary: Please study the diagrams at the link I gave. In summary, the conversation discusses drawing a logic circuit for the boolean function ((p+qr)')(pq+r) without simplifying it first. The first attempt at a solution was incorrect due to the use of a transmission logic circuit. After realizing this, the conversation then discusses how to properly implement the function with logic gates, which have standard representations with distinctive shapes. The logic gates used in the final drawing have the correct number of inputs and outputs, with the inputs on the left and the output on the right.
slain4ever

Homework Statement

Draw a logic circuit for the boolean function ((p+qr)')(pq+r) do not simplify the function first

The Attempt at a Solution

I got this: http://screencast.com/t/BC4akgo9J
but I'm pretty sure it's wrong because of the first part how the bar goes over the whole first part instead of over each letter, I think I would have to use de morgans laws to remedy this but since it says to not simplify the function I have no idea what to do. or is the first part correct as it is?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have drawn is a transmission logic circuit. It isn't correct. But how could it be when the NOT operator is not available in transmission logic. Are you sure you aren't supposed to implement the unsimplified function with logic gates?

oh right, that makes sense,

so it would be something like this right? http://screencast.com/t/zIp1V3Lmt
sorry about my handwriting.

slain4ever said:
oh right, that makes sense,

so it would be something like this right? http://screencast.com/t/zIp1V3Lmt
sorry about my handwriting.

I can't make any sense out of that drawing. The logic gates have standard representations with distinctive shapes. And the AND and OR gates each have two inputs and one output, while the NOT gate has one input and one output. You can see descriptions of them at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic_gate

the gates have the right number of iputs and outputs I just didn't put the weird shapes, because it's easier for me to remember like this

Moderator's note:

This is not a calculus question. Thread moved from Calculus & Beyond to Engineering, Comp Sci, & Technology.

slain4ever said:
the gates have the right number of iputs and outputs I just didn't put the weird shapes, because it's easier for me to remember like this

The shapes have a meaning which is additional to the function (and or not etc), they also make it clear which are the inputs and which is the output.

It's ok to simply draw your logic gates a rectangular box with the function type written in the box, but in this case please make sure you place all the inputs on the left and the output on the right.

slain4ever said:
the gates have the right number of iputs and outputs

No they don't. The AND gate on the left does not have two inputs and one output and neither does the OR gate at the lower right.

Last edited:

1. What are logic circuits for boolean functions?

Logic circuits for boolean functions are electronic circuits that are designed to process boolean inputs and produce boolean outputs. These circuits use logic gates, such as AND, OR, and NOT gates, to manipulate the input signals and produce the desired output.

2. How do logic circuits work?

Logic circuits work by receiving one or more boolean inputs, which can be either TRUE or FALSE. These inputs are then processed by the logic gates according to their defined boolean operations, and the resulting output is determined based on the input signals and the specific circuit design.

3. What are the applications of logic circuits for boolean functions?

Logic circuits have a wide range of applications, including computer processors, digital electronics, and control systems. They are also commonly used in electronic devices such as calculators, smartphones, and cars.

4. What is the difference between combinational and sequential logic circuits?

Combinational logic circuits produce an output based only on the current input signals, while sequential logic circuits also take into account the previous inputs and the current state of the circuit to determine the output. Sequential logic circuits are commonly used in memory storage and sequential processing applications.

5. What are some common components used in logic circuits for boolean functions?

Some common components used in logic circuits include logic gates, flip-flops, multiplexers, and decoders. These components can be combined in various ways to create more complex circuits that can perform a wide range of boolean functions.