MBA after an Engineering Degree or Business Degree?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether it is better to have a bachelor's degree in engineering or business for someone interested in working as a financial or risk analyst. While a business degree may be more directly applicable to the field, there is a concern that it may limit one's knowledge and skills. The conversation also mentions the possibility of pursuing an engineering degree and then an MBA, citing the example of a risk analyst with a civil engineering background in the movie Margin Call. The advice given is to pursue an engineering degree if one has the capability, as it can lead to a successful MBA program. It is noted that there is a growing recognition of the problem-solving and analytical thinking skills possessed by STEM degree holders in comparison to business graduates.
panther1
If one wants to work as a financial or risk analyst, would it be better to have a bachelor in engineering or business? Obviously, a business major would help me in the field, but someone told me that this way you will become a one trick pony, you should have broad knowledge and go for a engineering degree and then mba..I have also heard that as engineer's mathematical and analytical skills very sharp, it would be a plus to have an engineering degree..I also saw this movie Margin Call, in which the risk analyst was a former civil engineer..So, please guide me on this matter

Physics news on Phys.org
My advice is, if you have the amplitude to complete an engineering degree, you can most definitely complete almost any MBA program in the country, which is necessary not true about business then MBA. I've read countless articles about how today's business graduates don't have the problem solving or analytical thinking that STEM degree holders have. My plan is to finish my undergrad in engineering, work and then get my MBA. I've been in the business program before and there's a reason why its the most popular degree.

Last edited:

1. Can I pursue an MBA after completing my engineering degree or business degree?

Yes, you can pursue an MBA after completing your engineering degree or business degree. In fact, many individuals with technical or business backgrounds choose to pursue an MBA to gain a deeper understanding of business principles and management skills.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing an MBA after an engineering degree or business degree?

Pursuing an MBA after an engineering degree or business degree can provide a well-rounded education and skill set. It can also open up career opportunities in a variety of industries, as an MBA can provide a strong foundation in business and management principles.

3. Will my engineering or business degree be valuable in an MBA program?

Yes, your engineering or business degree will be valuable in an MBA program. Your technical or business background can provide a unique perspective and skill set that can complement the business education you will receive in an MBA program.

4. What is the difference between pursuing an MBA after an engineering degree or business degree?

The main difference between pursuing an MBA after an engineering degree or business degree is the focus of the program. An MBA after an engineering degree may have a more technical focus, while an MBA after a business degree may have a more general business focus. It is important to research and choose the program that best aligns with your career goals.

5. Are there any prerequisites for pursuing an MBA after an engineering degree or business degree?

The prerequisites for pursuing an MBA after an engineering degree or business degree may vary depending on the program. Some MBA programs may require a certain amount of work experience, while others may have specific undergraduate coursework requirements. It is important to research and understand the prerequisites for the MBA programs you are interested in.