Grouping Stores based on past retail sales.

• Thread starter cmor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grouping
In summary, the conversation discusses a set of retail data and how to group stores based on their sales behavior over the course of a year. The groups will be used to create location specific curves of distribution and to identify stores with the biggest deviation from the mean. The conversation also raises the question of a better way to analyze the sales curves to create more meaningful groups. The importance of defining the criteria for "following each other the best" is emphasized, as different factors such as average sales, variance, and evolution over time can impact the grouping.
cmor
I have a set of retail data explaining how many sales per store occurred during each week of the past 52 weeks. I want to group these stores by which follow each other the best over the course of the year. Let's say they'll be 10-20 stores in each group, although this number will be refined based on the analysis. These groups will be used to then create location specific curves of distribution. By grouping I can smooth out anomalies while creating a bigger dataset to pull from. I also want to find those stores that have the biggest deviation from the mean.
It would be nice to also find variance within each group, what is statistically significant in these groupings.

I did a simple analysis by just creating curves for each store and comparing them to the mean. Then finding the percent difference for each week, and ranking each store by its average percent difference.

What is a better way to analyze each curve with respect to each other to create groups?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that in your analysis you are not taking into account that you are dealing with time series; comparing the distribution of sales of two stores to see which one follow each other the best is not a good idea since you might have S1 = {1,2,3,4,5,6} and S2 = {6,5,4,3,2,1} and they both will have the same distribution, yet S1 is clearly doing better and better and S2 worse and worse, and yet, I do not think you want to put them both int he same group, is that correct?

In fact, it is up to how you define 'follow each other the best', for example, imagine you have two stores following each other's ups and downs, but one having twice as much sells as the other, they definitely follow each other even if at different levels.

On the other hand you could have stores which behavior is totally independent and yet they might have the same average sales after a year... You see what I mean?

So to you question 'what is the best way to group' I think you really have to make sure what you want to have in each group and define with more precision the criterion 'follow each other the best'. Is it just the average sales you care about? you care about the variance? you care about he evolution over time? ...

What is the purpose of grouping stores based on past retail sales?

The purpose of grouping stores based on past retail sales is to identify patterns and trends in sales data that can help retailers make more informed decisions about inventory, pricing, and store management strategies.

What data is used to group stores based on past retail sales?

Data such as sales revenue, profit margin, product categories, and geographical location are commonly used to group stores based on past retail sales. Other factors such as store size, customer demographics, and seasonality may also be considered.

How are the stores grouped?

The stores are typically grouped using statistical methods such as clustering or segmentation. These methods use algorithms to identify similarities and differences among the stores based on the selected data points.

What are the benefits of grouping stores based on past retail sales?

Grouping stores based on past retail sales can provide valuable insights into consumer behavior, market trends, and store performance. This information can help retailers optimize their inventory, pricing, and marketing strategies to drive sales and increase profitability.

Are there any limitations to grouping stores based on past retail sales?

While grouping stores based on past retail sales can provide valuable insights, it is important to note that it is just one aspect of store performance and should not be the only factor considered when making business decisions. Other factors such as customer feedback, store location, and competitive landscape should also be taken into account.