Is this project even possible?

In summary, the conversation was about a group of high school students in a summer engineering program being assigned a project to create a spring-assisted magnetic motor. However, the students were struggling to understand the concept and the instructions provided by their professor, who had a strong accent and was not skilled at explaining things. The diagram for the motor appeared to be a poor attempt at an over-unity device, which goes against the laws of thermodynamics. The conversation concluded with a warning not to waste time on such devices and that the topic is not discussed on the forum.
HeJind
So just some background info...I'm in a summer engineering program. We're all high school students (with little to no engineering experience), and we've only been in the program for two weeks now.

Just recently our professor assigned my group an assignment to create a spring-assisted magnetic motor. He drew a diagram for us on how to build it, but I simply don't understand how it works. To make it worse, our professor is from another country and speaks imperfect English with a strong accent. Needless to say, he's not the best at explaining things.

So the diagram is as follows:

mr5a1.jpg

From what I understand, the topmost magnets exert force on each other, which then sends a force down the middle pole. This somehow turns the gears at the bottom, which turn each other. The gears then force the left & right poles upward, which does something to the magnets, which keeps them turning. There are also springs on the left & right to control the speed of the left & right rods?

Is this even possible, let alone for high school kids? From what I gathered on the internet, over-unity designs have never worked and go against the laws of thermodynamics.

Can someone explain this to me? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is it possible that your prof gave you a perpetual motion project to teach you that it would never work?

Agreed. It looks like a very poor attempt at an over-unity device. Don't waste your time on it. (Are you sure that this guy is an exchange teacher, rather than some escaped lunatic with false ID?)

Welcome to the PF.

We do not discuss PMMs or over-unity devices at the PF. They do not exist. Thread is closed.

I can say that it is definitely possible to create a spring-assisted magnetic motor. However, it may not be feasible for high school students with little engineering experience to successfully build it in a short period of time. It requires a deep understanding of physics and engineering principles, as well as precise construction and calibration.

Additionally, the concept of over-unity designs is a controversial topic in the scientific community. While some have claimed to have achieved it, it has not been proven to be possible and goes against the laws of thermodynamics. Therefore, it is important to approach this project with caution and thoroughly research the feasibility of the design before attempting to build it.

In terms of the diagram provided, it is important to have a clear understanding of how each component works and how they interact with each other. It may be helpful to consult with a more experienced engineer or seek additional resources to fully comprehend the design.

Overall, while the project may be challenging, it is not impossible for high school students to create a spring-assisted magnetic motor. However, it will require a lot of hard work, dedication, and collaboration to successfully achieve it.

1. Is it possible to achieve the desired results with the current technology?

This is a common question when starting a new project. The answer depends on what the desired results are and what technology is being used. It is important to do thorough research and consult with experts in the field to determine the feasibility of the project.

2. What are the potential challenges or limitations of this project?

Every project has its own set of challenges and limitations. It is important to identify and address these early on in the project planning process. This can help to prevent delays or failures in achieving the desired results.

3. How long will it take to complete this project?

The timeline for a project can vary greatly depending on the complexity and scope of the project. It is important to carefully plan and set realistic deadlines to ensure the project is completed successfully and on time.

4. What resources will be needed to complete this project?

This question is crucial for determining the feasibility of a project. It is important to identify all necessary resources, including equipment, materials, and personnel, and ensure they are available before starting the project.

5. What are the potential risks associated with this project?

Any project carries some level of risk, whether it be technical, financial, or environmental. It is important to carefully assess and plan for these risks to minimize their impact on the project. Regular risk assessments should also be conducted throughout the project to address any new risks that may arise.