Calculate Torque Exerted by Fish at 20° Angle

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the fishing pole makes an angle of 20 degrees with the horizontal and the torque exerted by the fish about an axis perpendicular to the page and passing though the fisher's hand is 167.7Nm. The formula used is T=rFsinX, where theta is the angle between the force and the fishing pole. Theta is calculated to be 123 degrees, taking into account the 20 degree angle above the horizontal.
UrbanXrisis
The fishing pole in the http://home.earthlink.net/~suburban-xrisis/clip.jpg makes an angle of 20 degrees with the horizontal. What is the torque exerted by the fish about an axis perpendicular to the page and passing though the fisher's hand?

Is this question basically asking about how much torque there is?

T=rFsinX
T=2m*100N*sin37
T=120Nm

is this all that the question is asking for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
torque = Fd sin(theta)
theta is the angle between the force and the fishing pole...
your theta is not quite correct, otherwise seems great

is theta 123 degrees?

Yes, it is 123 degrees. Optionally you could take 37 + 20 = 57 degrees. They have the same [tex]sin[/tex].

does the fact that the the fisher has a 20 degree angle with the hoizon? Will that make a difference in theta being 123 degrees?

Isn't the 20 degrees a completely different angle than the 123 degree angle?

yes but I'm wondering if I should take into account the 20 degrees above the horizontal... I shouldn't right? it shold just be...

T=rFsinX
T=2m*100N*sin123
T=167.7Nm

UrbanXrisis said:
yes but I'm wondering if I should take into account the 20 degrees above the horizontal... I shouldn't right? it shold just be...

T=rFsinX
T=2m*100N*sin123
T=167.7Nm

Your answer is correct. But I don't understand what you mean by "taking the 20 degrees into account". If that angle wasn't 20, then theta wouldn't be 123.

For example if the angle was 30 instead of 20, then you'd be taking sin 113.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque calculated?

To calculate torque, you will need to know the force applied to an object and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is torque = force x distance.

3. What is the formula for calculating torque?

The formula for calculating torque is torque = force x distance. The force should be in Newtons (N) and the distance should be in meters (m).

4. How does the angle affect torque calculation?

The angle at which the force is applied can affect the torque calculation. If the force is applied at a perpendicular angle (90°) to the object, it will have the maximum effect on the torque. If the force is applied at an angle less than 90°, the torque will be reduced.

5. Can you provide an example of calculating torque for a fish at a 20° angle?

Sure, let's say a fish is exerting a force of 10 N on a fishing rod that is 0.5 meters long. If the force is applied at a 20° angle to the rod, the torque would be calculated as torque = 10 N x 0.5 m x cos(20°) = 4.85 Nm. This means that the fish is exerting a torque of 4.85 Nm on the fishing rod.