Using Winrar and Zip to Upload Hundreds of Photos

• Thread starter Kutt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration and confusion surrounding the use of winrar and winzip for compressing and uploading photos to a website in the form of a .zip archive. The website only accepts .zip archives and not .rar archives. The speaker suggests using the "add to archive" option to create a new .zip archive and provides resources for alternative tools such as 7-Zip and pkzip for windows. Despite this, the overall sentiment is that these tools are still confusing and frustrating to use.
Kutt
How do I upload a pack of several hundred photos to a website in the form of a .zip archive?

winrar and winzip are the most confusing and frustrating tools I've ever used.

I have no idea how to use them.

The website only accepts .zip archives and not .rar archives.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I just highlight the files I want added and right click and select "add to archive" from there you can select to compress as .zip

Greg Bernhardt said:
I just highlight the files I want added and right click and select "add to archive" from there you can select to compress as .zip

Ahhhh... I thought "add to archive" was to add photos to an pre-existing winrar archive. I didn't know this is the option you clicked to create a new winrar archive.

This tool is frustratingly confusing nonetheless...

I understand the frustration of using unfamiliar tools. However, Winrar and Winzip are essential programs for compressing and archiving files, especially when dealing with large quantities of photos. To upload a pack of several hundred photos to a website in the form of a .zip archive, you will need to follow these steps:

1. First, make sure all the photos you want to upload are in one folder on your computer.

2. Open either Winrar or Winzip, depending on which program you have available.

3. In the program, navigate to the folder where your photos are located.

4. Select all the photos by clicking on the first one, holding down the shift key, and then clicking on the last one. This will select all the photos in between.

5. Right-click on one of the selected photos and choose "Add to archive" (for Winrar) or "Add to Zip file" (for Winzip).

6. In the pop-up window, choose the .zip format and adjust any other settings as needed.

7. Click "OK" to start the compression process. This may take a few minutes depending on the size of your photos.

8. Once the compression is complete, you will have a .zip archive containing all your photos in a more manageable size.

9. Now, you can upload the .zip archive to the website as usual. The website should recognize the file as a .zip archive and allow you to upload it.

I hope this helps alleviate some of the frustration you have with using these programs. With a little practice, you will become more familiar and comfortable with them. Good luck with your photo upload!

1. How do I use Winrar and Zip to upload hundreds of photos?

To use Winrar and Zip to upload hundreds of photos, you will need to first compress the photos into a single zip file. This can be done by selecting all the photos you want to upload, right-clicking, and choosing "Add to Archive" (for Winrar) or "Compress" (for Zip). Once the zip file is created, you can then upload it to your desired platform.

2. Can I upload a large number of photos using Winrar and Zip?

Yes, you can upload a large number of photos using Winrar and Zip. These programs are specifically designed for compressing and packaging multiple files, making it easier and faster to upload a large number of photos at once.

3. Are there any file size limitations when using Winrar and Zip to upload photos?

There are no specific file size limitations when using Winrar and Zip to upload photos. However, some platforms may have their own file size limitations for uploads. It is important to check the requirements of the platform you are uploading to before compressing and uploading your photos.

4. Can I upload different file types using Winrar and Zip?

Yes, you can upload different file types using Winrar and Zip. These programs support a wide range of file types, including images, videos, documents, and more. You can compress and upload multiple types of files at once in a single zip file.

5. Is it safe to use Winrar and Zip to upload my photos?

Yes, it is safe to use Winrar and Zip to upload your photos. These programs have been widely used for many years and have proven to be secure and reliable for compressing and uploading files. However, it is always important to make sure you are downloading these programs from a trusted source to avoid any potential risks.