Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community

• Thread starter 42Physics
  • Start date
In summary, Doctor Who fans love the show for its good special effects, happy attitude, and the ability to run forever. However, they are mystified by the show's popularity.
Can I just ask what everyone thought of the finale? No "real 9th" or "Doctor 8.5" theories, please. I've had about enough of those.

Physics news on Phys.org
ImATrackMan said:
Can I just ask what everyone thought of the finale? No "real 9th" or "Doctor 8.5" theories, please. I've had about enough of those.

It seemed very exciting at the time, and it was good to see all those references to the previous doctors. Everyone is of course impatient to see how the story resolves and whether it can be done in a way which merits the big build-up.

However, as often happens it seems that there are no rules and very little consistency to the story, and all too often in Steven Moffat's episodes a situation is resolved by something which was previously said to be impossible, which can get irritating.

How many people have read the books? I don't watch the tv shows but I've read most of the doctor who novels. Really enjoyed all of them. Though it has always been a bit annoying to me about how the doctor and his companions always separate from each other and get lost and then spend a lot of trouble finding each other again (No cell phones?!) .

I am :D

I loved Tom Baker as Dr Who, because he had a wild sense of humor. His interpretation of Dr Who was comical.

Okay, so what does everyone think of the news from BBC that Matt Smith is leaving the series? He'll be in the 50th anniversary special and the Christmas special, but the 8th season will start with a new Doctor.

I'm sitting somewhere between being intrigue and trepidation.

Janus said:
Okay, so what does everyone think of the news from BBC that Matt Smith is leaving the series? He'll be in the 50th anniversary special and the Christmas special, but the 8th season will start with a new Doctor.

I'm sitting somewhere between being intrigue and trepidation.

I'm hoping they take the opportunity to get an older person of colour to get back to the shows roots while adding diversity.

Im not happy about a new Doctor. IMHO, all the Doctors since Tom Baker have left too quickly. Black Doctor is a bad idea.

Algr said:
Im not happy about a new Doctor. IMHO, all the Doctors since Tom Baker have left too quickly.
David and Matt both had 3-4 year runs, and 5, 6 and 7 had modest-length runs as well. I don't know how long "long enough" is for you but Tom Baker's run was TWICE as long as the average.
Black Doctor is a bad idea.
^ Truth and sense. ^

Algr said:
Black Doctor is a bad idea.
What? Why?

willbell said:
What? Why?

Well meaning people are taking a measure of progress, (black participation) and applying it to something that seems similar, but in fact is very different.

The problem with a black Doctor is that the Doctor is not a job or a political post. He is a person. Casting a black actor in the role is not going to change who the Doctor's parents were, or what growing up on the planet Gallifrey was like. Regeneration is not going to change his history, or culture, or perspective.

So what is left? Physical appearance? That isn't a "Black Doctor", it's the Doctor in blackface!

To the Doctor, "race" means Human, Dalek, Silurian or Time Lord. What credibility does such a fictional person or program have to talk about race in our real world? Race would become a central subject of the program, but no actual message would be possible. The result, however well intended, would look like shameless political manipulation. The program, the viewers, and the ideal of racial justice, would all loose.

Doctor Who is awesome... I'm currently watching all the (new) seasons in order, I am waiting on the third season to be rentable at my library...

I watch Dr. Who on Netflix.

I am very excited about the 'new doctor' incarnation. It always takes me a few episodes to get used to the new doctor and/or the new companion, but having new personalities in the stories is part of the charm, don't you think? (I couldn't care less what color he is.)

I enjoyed the way the last episode showed "who" Clara is and how she was in the doctor's many incarnations through time! No spoiler, but it is Awesome! I think that some of these writers are genius (while admittedly some stories are less than stellar). Without Dr. Who, I would be left with nothing of interest to watch on TV...

As far as the "previously impossible becoming possible" paradox; that is the whole point isn't it? That he is the Time Lord and he can change whatever he wants to (although he chooses not to sometimes and that does confuse me), but it is his choice to make.

:)) Love The Doctor...

I think this last season is setting up for a total remake of DR WHO. I hope it's a new spin on what star trek did to redo the 1st star trek. This time we will start off with something before an unearthly child and we can see the time wars. DR WHO is great and I would love to see all of the first DR's shows and movies on BBC. The time wars would mke a great setting for a DR WHO movie HINT HINT.

Anyone into Torchwood?

Julio R said:
Anyone into Torchwood?

I am but I've only seen the first 1 1/2 seasons because I watched it on TV and then they stopped playing it. I'm hoping to catch up over the summer.

notinthebox said:
I think this last season is setting up for a total remake of DR WHO. I hope it's a new spin on what star trek did to redo the 1st star trek. This time we will start off with something before an unearthly child and we can see the time wars. DR WHO is great and I would love to see all of the first DR's shows and movies on BBC. The time wars would mke a great setting for a DR WHO movie HINT HINT.

If they do ever reboot doctor who I hope they do it 100% clean slate, I would hate if they went the star trek root.

Torchwood is spotty. I really liked "Children of Earth", but Miracle Day sort of lost my interest.

They didn't put the work into torchwood that it needed

The problem with Torchwood is that they took a unique premise, (Traveler in time and space.) and replaced it with the most overused premise on TV. (Crime fighting team in the city.) So it all looks too similar to everything else on TV.

I like Torchwood, I'm going through the series right now and just finished 'Children of Earth' which was great!

42physics said:
dr. Who fans, unite!

vomit!

strangerep said:
I actually saw the original broadcasts of Dr Who, so I've seen all the now-missing episodes. :tongue:
you woundn't happen to have recordings of them all, do you?--garbageloads of the episodes from Hartnell & Troughton got wiped out due to neglect on BBC's part. Now, they're trying to recover anything folks may have (illegally--back then) recorded so they can recreate the missing years.

I was really annoyed when William Hartnell got replaced by Patrick Troughton. I kept waiting for him to change back, but it never happened. Got kinda bored after Peter Davison and stopped watching.

BTW, what was the name of the actress who played the primitive companion, always running around like a female warrior out of D&D? She ended up pairing off with another timelord!?
Loise Jameson, played Lelah--damned cute in that outfit, too! :tongue2:

Integral said:
The Tom Baker episode they played Sunday was great. Wish they would do that more often. They sure have improved the inside of the TARDIS. Tom Bakers TARDIS looked like something from a high school play.
Baker was the Doctor when I first started to watch. One of the best imo & nearly for 10yrs. Unfortunately, nearly everything back then looked like it came from a high school play: the sets, the props, the costumes, the special effects, many of the supporting cast...

I really liked Ecellson & Tennant--fantastic actors--and I wished they had lasted longer, like 10+yrs each.

But the wreck they made of the TARDIS just irritated me. I kept waiting and waiting for some guest star to show up, go inside the TARDIS, look about in stunned amazement, and just when the Doctor starts his spiel about "yeah, yeah, bigger on the..." only to be interrupted by the stranger start screaming "WHAT THE BLOOD HELL DID YOU DO TO THIS...THIS...OH MY GOD! THIS *WAS* A TYPE 40!" :biggrin:

So... thoughts on the twelfth?

Enigman said:
So... thoughts on the twelfth?

Is Dr. Who on air again?

Sorry Ryuu, I only saw your post just now...

Ryuu said:
you woundn't happen to have recordings of them all, do you?
Ha, no. (You realize those episodes were pre-VCR, right?)

Baker was the Doctor when I first started to watch. [...]
The thing that makes me laugh the most about Tom Baker is the stories/rumors about his off-screen behaviour: a bit too keen on fondling the young female actresses. (He wouldn't get away with that these days.) The mischief is still in his eyes during his cameo as the "curator" at the end of Matt Smith's final episode, so I guess the "naughty boy" is still in there... :biggrin:

I really liked Ecellson & Tennant
I liked Eccleston (& Piper), but Tennant... not so much.

I still like the original theme & video the best.

Last edited:
Drakkith said:
Is Dr. Who on air again?
I just saw the 1st episode of the 12th -- I was quite happy with it, except for the (modified-yet-again) opening titles and theme music. Less frenetic -- which I find good -- but never as mysterious as the original series' "slightly menacing, acid-trip" theme.

[BTW, I see there's also a new season of Torchwood. Good that they're trying, but I can't give it many credit points so far.]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlTFMp7_e6o

I watched the original Dr. Who in 1964 (William Hartnell 1963-1966). I moved from Australia to the US and lost TV for a while.

My all time favorite Dr. Who is Tom Baker (with Sarah and Romana). I watched his episodes and was sad to see him depart.

While I appreciate the efforts of 5 through 8 and later, Baker will always be the premiere DW - IMO.

I did see some recent episodes (with 10th and 11th DWs), and the plots were quite clever.

So, still no female doctor! I'm still waiting!

(Yes, Tom Baker was the doctor- that pretty much goes without saying.)

HallsofIvy said:
So, still no female doctor! I'm still waiting!

Never seen the show, but during dinner last night, two friends had a debate as to why the doctor can't be, say, a gay male or maybe a woman. According to a friend who's seen all the episodes, the doctor's reincarnations are controlled by him in that he reappears closely to what he identifies as. He was born a straight white male, and identifies as a straight white male, so he'll continue to reincarnate as a straight white male. That's as much influence as he has over the process, though.

In retrospect, using the word "identify" makes me come off as one of the LGBTQRRRR779-ZZ people that refuse to be referred to in normal human pronouns, etc. etc. But since the Dr. is a straight white guy, and he's comfortable as such, he'll continue to be one.

Astronuc said:
Baker will always be the premiere DW - IMO.

HallsofIvy said:

There is nothing more ironic than a Who fan who is stuck in the past. :biggrin:

Well, Dr. Who was for most of the Tom Baker episodes!

True, and mostly in about 16th Century England by the looks of things...