Why Did My Financial Calculator Stop Working?

In summary, the conversation is about a finance final and the malfunction of the speaker's financial calculator. They discovered that a wire needed to be attached to the other side of the battery, but even when held there, it still did not work. They also discussed using alternative methods for soldering and the possibility of a puzzling metal piece being a solderless clip. The speaker later purchased a new calculator and ended the course with a high grade.
slipkorn17
Hello all,

So I write a finance final tomorrow morning and my financial calculator decided to quit working on me. The screen would flash as it turned off and on rapidly, almost as if there was a loose connection. So I popped 'er open and here is what I found:

http://i.imgur.com/UdASBX1.jpg

It looks like the red wire needs to be attached to the other side of the battery, but when I hold it there, it does not turn on. It also doesn't look like anything was soldered on to that side of the battery before. I'm also confused by the weird metal piece.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nevermind, the black wire just came off of the B- terminal. It's pretty much toast now without a soldering iron.

try heating the tip of a screwdriver on your stove for an emergency soldering iron.
Try a little lemon juice for flux, but rinse well.

jim hardy said:
try heating the tip of a screwdriver on your stove for an emergency soldering iron.
Try a little lemon juice for flux, but rinse well.

And for really fine work, a finishing nail held in Vise-Grips works too. Neat tip about the juice; I never heard of that one before. Thanks.

Slipkorn, is that puzzling piece of metal actually attached to the top of the case, or just lying there? I ask because it sort of looks as if it might be a solderless clip to attach to the battery.

17 months later - I just went out and bought a decent one for $60. Used it for that final and never again. Maybe I'll use it in my last year starting next week. Thanks for responses, though.

Killed the final, by the way. Ended the course with a 90+.

What could be the possible reasons for my calculator not working?

There are several reasons why your calculator may not be working. It could be due to a dead battery, malfunctioning buttons, or a software issue. It is also possible that the calculator has been dropped or damaged in some way.

How can I fix my broken calculator?

The first step is to check the battery and replace it if necessary. If that does not solve the issue, try resetting the calculator or cleaning the buttons with a cloth and some rubbing alcohol. If the problem persists, it may need to be repaired or replaced.

Is there a way to troubleshoot my calculator?

Yes, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can try. First, make sure the calculator is turned on and the battery is working. Then, try pressing the "reset" button or using a different set of batteries. If the calculator still does not work, it may need to be repaired or replaced.

Can I repair my calculator myself?

It is not recommended to try and repair a calculator yourself unless you have experience and knowledge in electronics. Attempting to fix it yourself could cause further damage and may void any warranty the calculator may have.

What should I do if my calculator is still not working after troubleshooting?

If your calculator is still not working after troubleshooting, it may need to be repaired or replaced. Contact the manufacturer or a professional technician for assistance with repairing or replacing the calculator.

Back