Absorption of light by spherical nanoparticle

In summary, the absorption of a polystyrene nanoparticles placed in vacuum scales as a function of its diameter and is a constant for the material. A reference to a paper discussing this topic is requested. The focus is on the scaling of absorption, not the specific amount absorbed. This information is relevant for calculating the detection limit in an experiment measuring light absorption by a single nanoparticle.
Excom
Hello

Can anyone tell me how the absorption of a polystyrene nanoparticles scales as a function of its diameter.

The particle is spherical and it is placed in vacuum.

A reference to a paper I can read would be nice.

At this point I only want to know how the absorption scales not how much the particles absorbs.

Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
The specific absorption would be a constant for the material (proportion of light absorbed per unit area).
What is the context?

I have this experiment where I can measure the absorption of light by a single nanoparticle. I would then like to calculate the detection limited based on the noise of the measurement and the signal induced by the particle I can detect.

1. What is the mechanism behind the absorption of light by spherical nanoparticles?

The absorption of light by spherical nanoparticles is primarily due to the phenomenon of plasmon resonance. This occurs when the incident light excites the free electrons in the metal nanoparticle, causing them to oscillate at a specific frequency and absorb the light energy.

2. How does the size of a spherical nanoparticle affect its light absorption properties?

The size of a spherical nanoparticle has a significant impact on its light absorption properties. Smaller nanoparticles tend to have a higher absorption rate due to a larger surface area and a stronger plasmon resonance effect. Larger nanoparticles, on the other hand, may exhibit multiple plasmon resonance peaks at different wavelengths, allowing them to absorb a broader range of light.

3. Can the material of the spherical nanoparticle affect its light absorption?

Yes, the material of the spherical nanoparticle can greatly influence its light absorption properties. Different materials have different plasmon resonance frequencies, which determine the wavelengths of light that they can absorb. For example, silver nanoparticles have a plasmon resonance peak in the visible range, while gold nanoparticles have a peak in the near-infrared region.

4. What applications does the absorption of light by spherical nanoparticles have?

The absorption of light by spherical nanoparticles has a wide range of applications in fields such as biomedical imaging, solar energy harvesting, and sensing. In biomedical imaging, nanoparticles can be used to enhance contrast in images, while in solar energy harvesting, they can increase the efficiency of solar cells. Nanoparticle-based sensors can detect the presence of specific molecules by measuring changes in their light absorption properties.

5. Is the absorption of light by spherical nanoparticles affected by their environment?

Yes, the environment surrounding the spherical nanoparticles can have a significant impact on their light absorption properties. Factors such as temperature, pH, and the presence of other molecules can alter the plasmon resonance frequency and consequently, the absorption of light. This effect can be utilized in sensing applications, where the change in light absorption can indicate the presence of a specific molecule in the environment.