Confused on phase diagrams for binary systems (thermodynamics)

In summary, the conversation discusses the phase diagrams of binary systems and the behavior of liquid mixtures when exposed to varying temperatures at a constant pressure. It is noted that for pure substances, there is a single temperature at which a phase transition occurs, but for mixtures, there is no longer a single temperature and the amount of liquid remaining can change. The concept of latent heat is also mentioned and its relevance for mixtures is questioned. The use of a flash calculation and enthalpy balance is suggested as a way to determine the amount of heat required for a flow system with a mixture of substances.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I'm confused regarding the phase diagrams of binary systems. Let's suppose we mix 2 liquids, A and B at a given pressure P that won't change during the whole experiment. I raise the temperature until I observe that some of the mix of liquids vaporizes. What boggles me is that it seems I can actually raise the temperature and there's still liquid remaining (less and less if I raise the temperature more and more), until when I raise the temperature enough and it vaporizes entirely.
But as far I as thought previously, you could not raise the temperature without the liquid passing entirely to gas if you saw it started to vaporize.
I mean, for a pure substance it seems that at a given pressure there's a single temperature at which there's a phase transition.
Now for a mix of substance, there is no more a single temperature for which there's a phase transition. Is this correct?
If it's correct, is the latent heat meaningless for mix of substances?

Science news on Phys.org
Yes. For a solution of two components, if you hold the pressure constant, the temperature will still change depending on how much is vaporized. You can verify this by applying the phase rule. I'm not sure if the term latent heat is totally meaningless. If you carry out a flash calculation for a flow system at constant pressure, and specify the fraction of the original liquid that vaporizes, you can precisely determine the amount of heat required by doing an enthalpy balance.

What is a phase diagram for binary systems?

A phase diagram for binary systems is a graphical representation of the different phases (solid, liquid, gas) that a substance can exist in at different combinations of temperature and pressure, for a mixture of two components. It shows the boundaries between the different phases and the regions where two phases can coexist.

What does the shape of a phase diagram for binary systems indicate?

The shape of a phase diagram for binary systems can indicate the stability of the different phases and the conditions under which they can exist. For example, the slope of the phase boundary can indicate the change in melting or boiling point with pressure, and the shape of the curve can indicate whether the substance undergoes a solid-liquid or liquid-gas phase transition.

How do you interpret a phase diagram for binary systems?

To interpret a phase diagram for binary systems, you must first determine the composition of the mixture (ratio of the two components), then identify the temperature and pressure conditions. Based on this information, you can determine which phase or phases the substance will exist in. If the point falls on a phase boundary, it indicates that two phases can coexist at those conditions.

Can a substance exist in multiple phases on a phase diagram for binary systems?

Yes, a substance can exist in multiple phases on a phase diagram for binary systems. This is known as a two-phase region, where two phases coexist. The composition and conditions of the substance will determine which phases are present.

How can phase diagrams for binary systems be used in practical applications?

Phase diagrams for binary systems are used in various industries, such as materials science, chemical engineering, and metallurgy, to determine the conditions under which a substance will undergo phase changes. They are also useful for predicting the behavior of mixtures and designing processes for separating components. Additionally, they can aid in the development of new materials with desired properties.