Generating 3V-5V with magnetic core coil?

In summary, the conversation is about generating a voltage of 3V - 5V using a magnetic coil with a high turn ratio and a changing magnetic field. The speaker is looking for advice on what type of core and how many turns of coil would be needed. They mention some equations but state that it would be difficult without experimental data. They are advised to use online coil calculators for assistance.
NewtonianAlch
Hi guys,

I'm wondering whether I'd be able to generate around 3V - 5V with a magnetic coil using a high turn ratio in the presence of a changing magnetic field.

I know guitar coils can generally produce around 500mV - 1V, I wish to generate around 3V -5V even if it is for a very short time in the presence of a small changing magnetic field, say around 30μT in under a second.

What kind of core and how many turns of coil would I need? I have some equations here such as B = ∅/S and V = -N*d∅/dt but it is hard to do this without some experimental data.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are numerous coil calculators online that can do that for you.

Just Google coil calculator online.

1. How does a magnetic core coil generate 3V-5V?

A magnetic core coil, also known as an inductor, generates 3V-5V by utilizing the principle of electromagnetic induction. When an alternating current passes through the coil, it creates a changing magnetic field which induces a voltage across the coil.

2. What is the purpose of using a magnetic core in a coil?

The magnetic core in a coil helps to increase the strength of the magnetic field and thus, the voltage induced across the coil. This allows for a higher output voltage to be generated.

3. Can a magnetic core coil be used to generate other voltage ranges?

Yes, the voltage generated by a magnetic core coil can be adjusted by changing the number of turns in the coil, the strength of the magnetic field, and the frequency of the alternating current passing through the coil. This allows for a wide range of output voltages to be produced.

4. Are there any limitations to using a magnetic core coil for voltage generation?

One limitation of using a magnetic core coil is that the output voltage is dependent on the frequency of the alternating current. If the frequency is too low, the voltage generated may be too low. Additionally, the coil may also produce excess heat due to the resistance of the wire, which can limit its efficiency.

5. What are the applications of using a magnetic core coil for voltage generation?

Magnetic core coils are commonly used in electronic circuits as voltage regulators, power supplies, and in signal processing. They can also be found in various devices such as transformers, motors, and generators.