Build a Thin, Durable Scale for Rough Terrain: Force Sensor Options

In summary: He has been searching for suitable force sensors, but has not found any that meet his requirements and are within his budget. He mentions that load cells are too large and expensive, strain gauges may have bridge balancing issues, and force sensing resistors are not reliable due to drift. He needs accuracy of +/- 5% or better. Another person suggests subminiature and miniature compression load cells, specifically one with a 20 kg capacity that is only 4mm thick. However, Dave mentions that buying four of these would cost $480, which is too expensive for multiple scales. He wonders how bathroom scales can be sold for
refind
My task is: I need to build a very thin scale (like a bathroom scale), less than 8mm in thickness total, and needs to work even if placed on rough terrain (so it needs it's own bottom and top). The total load will not exceed 10kg.

I've been trying to look for the correct force sensors to use but I haven't found anything too attractive. Load cells are large and expensive, strain gauges look promising but I'm afraid of bridge balancing issues, and force sensing resistors are garbage because of drift. I need accuracy of +/- 5% or better, so does anyone know any sensors I could try?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here's some Subminiature and Miniature Compression Load Cells.

According to the Specs, the 20 kg capacity http://www.omega.com/pptst/LCPB.html is only 4 mm thick. Here's a dimensions picture from their specifications PDF file.

attachment.php?attachmentid=61440&stc=1&d=1378278830.jpg

Attachments

• cell.jpg
    cell.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 444
This is a good product but buying 4 for a scale would be $480. I need to make several of these scales so the cost adds up too fast.

How do they make bathroom scales for $15?

refind said:
This is a good product but buying 4 for a scale would be $480. I need to make several of these scales so the cost adds up too fast.

Ah. You did say ±5% and be 8 mm thick.

How do they make bathroom scales for $15?

I don't know. Maybe that would be a good place for a little hands-on.

dlgoff said:
Ah. You did say ±5% and be 8 mm thick.

I don't know. Maybe that would be a good place for a little hands-on.

for a $15 investment to strip one and do some reverse engineering would be $15 well spent in my book

Dave

What are FORCE sensors used for?

FORCE sensors are used to measure and detect the amount of force applied to an object or surface. They are commonly used in industries such as robotics, manufacturing, and automotive to monitor and control the force used in various processes.

What types of FORCE sensors are there?

There are various types of FORCE sensors, including strain gauge sensors, piezoelectric sensors, and load cells. Each type has its own unique features and is suitable for different applications. It is important to understand the specific needs of your project before choosing a type of FORCE sensor.

How accurate are FORCE sensors?

The accuracy of FORCE sensors depends on various factors such as the type of sensor, calibration, and environmental conditions. Generally, FORCE sensors have a high level of accuracy and can measure force with precision, making them reliable for a wide range of applications.

Can FORCE sensors be customized?

Yes, FORCE sensors can be customized to meet specific requirements and needs. This can include the size, shape, and range of the sensor, as well as the type of output signal. It is important to work with a reputable and experienced sensor manufacturer for customizations to ensure the accuracy and functionality of the sensor.

How do I choose the right FORCE sensor for my project?

Choosing the right FORCE sensor for your project depends on various factors such as the type of force to be measured, the range of force, and the environment in which the sensor will be used. It is best to consult with a sensor expert who can guide you in selecting the most suitable sensor for your needs.