Finding Period Of Voltage With Multiple Frequencies

In summary, to solve questions of the type "Find the period of the voltage," you can sketch the two sinusoids and do a graphical summation. The frequency of the resulting waveform will be the highest common factor of the frequencies of the individual functions. If the frequencies are not whole numbers, you can multiply them by the smallest number that makes them integers and find their HCF. This will give you the period of the combined wave. In order for the summation to be periodic, its time period must contain n complete cycles of one wave and m complete cycles of the other, where n and m are both natural numbers. The frequency of the fundamental will always be the greatest common divisor of the harmonic frequencies present.
QwertyXP
How do you solve questions of the type:

Find the period of the voltage
a) 3cos(2500t) + 4(7500t + pi/2)
b) a generic waveform: a*cos(x*t)+b*cos(y*t + theta)

I saw questions similar to the above while going through a book. I attempted such questions when I was in college, but don't know/remember how to solve them. I also spent quite some time looking it up on google but didn't see anything useful.

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
QwertyXP said:
How do you solve questions of the type:

Find the period of the voltage
a) 3cos(2500t) + 4(7500t + pi/2)
Try sketching these two sinusoids, then do a graphical summation. Do this for half a dozen cycles at least.

Likes 1 person
I think I have the answer. I plotted lots of graphs on WolframAlpha and it seems to me that the frequency of the resulting waveform (sum of 2 different functions) is the Highest Common Factor of the frequencies of the individual functions.

If the frequencies are not whole numbers, for example, in the case 3cos(2500t) + 4cos(7500t + pi/2) the frequencies would be 2500/(2*pi) and 7500/(2*pi), we would multiply the frequencies by the smallest possible number (call it 'x') that makes them integers. x=pi in this case. The frequencies above then become 1250 and 3750, respectively. Then we would find their HCF (=1250), and divide it by the same number (x). Hence the period of 3cos(2500t) + 4cos(7500t + pi/2) is pi/1250.

It's great to have solved it, but can anybody give an explanation why it works like this?

For the summation to be periodic, its time period τ must contain n complete cycles of f₁ and m complete cycles of f₂, where n,m ∈ ℕ.

The frequency of the fundamental is the greatest common divisor of the harmonic frequencies present.

Firstly consider integer angular frequencies of a=2500 and b=7500 rad/sec.
Remove all common factors as c = 2500. Then a/c = 1 and b/c = 3.
During a period of 2Pi/c radians, there will be 1 cycle of “wave a” for every 3 cycles of “wave b”.
The fundamental is c = a, with a 3rd harmonic of b.

Secondly consider integer angular frequencies of a=5000 and b=7500 rad/sec.
Remove all common factors as c = 2500. Then a/c = 2 and b/c = 3.
During a period of 2Pi/c radians, there will be 2 cycles of “wave a” for every 3 cycles of “wave b”.
The frequency of the fundamental is therefore again c = 2500 radians per second.

In this case the fundamental c is not actually present since neither a/c, nor b/c is 1.
Wave a is the 2nd harmonic, and wave b the 3rd harmonic of the missing fundamental.
But the combined wave still repeats with the period of the missing fundamental.

In both cases the period of the combined wave fundamental will therefore be 2Pi / c = 0.00251327 seconds.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the purpose of finding the period of voltage with multiple frequencies?

The purpose of finding the period of voltage with multiple frequencies is to analyze the behavior of the voltage signal over time and identify any recurring patterns. This information can be used to understand the characteristics of the signal and how it may interact with other signals in a circuit or system.

2. How do you calculate the period of voltage with multiple frequencies?

The period of voltage can be calculated by dividing the total time of the signal by the number of cycles it completes. For signals with multiple frequencies, the period can be determined by analyzing the individual frequencies and finding the lowest common multiple of their periods.

3. What tools are needed to find the period of voltage with multiple frequencies?

To find the period of voltage with multiple frequencies, you will need a signal generator, an oscilloscope, and a frequency counter. The signal generator is used to produce the voltage signal with multiple frequencies, the oscilloscope is used to visualize the signal, and the frequency counter is used to measure the frequency of each individual component of the signal.

4. What are some common applications of finding the period of voltage with multiple frequencies?

Finding the period of voltage with multiple frequencies has many applications in fields such as telecommunications, signal processing, and circuit design. It can be used to analyze and troubleshoot electronic circuits, design filters for specific frequency ranges, and improve the performance of communication systems.

5. Can the period of voltage with multiple frequencies change over time?

Yes, the period of voltage with multiple frequencies can change over time due to various factors such as environmental conditions, component aging, and interference from other signals. It is important to regularly measure and monitor the period to ensure the proper functioning of electronic systems.