Anyone watching Game of Thrones? (spoilers)

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, Tyrion Lannister is one of the more interesting and complex characters on the show, and I don't think HBO or George RR Martin are going to get rid of him anytime soon.
Hahah nice Arya scene in the beginning though [emoji1]

Likes russ_watters
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have thoughts on the time-frame it took them to build 1,000 ships at the Iron Islands? Seems a huge plot hole there for me.

Dan8420 said:
Anyone have thoughts on the time-frame it took them to build 1,000 ships at the Iron Islands? Seems a huge plot hole there for me.
Yes, and the show is getting [in]famous for that. For how much longer are the white walkers going to be walking south until they get to the wall? Didn't take a cripple on a sledge long to get there!

russ_watters said:
Yes, and the show is getting [in]famous for that.

Seems the way the whole show is going to have to operate over the next two compressed seasons. Sad tho, a lot of these time line related mistakes could have been easily avoided.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I just finished season 1! I'm a huge fan now!

I did but only out of a lack of anything else. Dark ages, with bad weather, ugly armour, ugly weapons, and mostly basic human cruelty? The show's nihilistic and not fun. There might be a place for this kind of story, but only a place. LOTR is a form of Classic Art that emphasizes beauty. GOT...not so much. Just depression.

Season 7 felt short because it was, but overall pretty good. The plot sure has sped up. Good ending to season 7. Stinks we have to wait 2 years for the final season. Hope it's worth it!

I had never seen Game of Thrones before this year. We changed our cable provider and got free HBO for a year. I decided to see what all the fuss was about and really enjoyed binge watching all of the seasons over the course of a month. I guess that I'll have to pay for HBO at the end of the final season so that I can see the last of it. :oldsmile:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I just finished my second run through the first 7 seasons. I am obsessed with this show. I am so excited for tonight's premiere of the last season. I think it's going to be insane and slightly sad that I bet a few big characters will die. Also sad this is the last season. Anyone else looking forward to tonight?

I had HBO two years ago on the previous season and binged all 7 seasons. I don't have HBO anymore but I've been considering it just for these last 6 episodes. Maybe in a couple of weeks. :oldbiggrin:
Edit: I thought this was a new thread but I just saw my previous post. :oldlaugh:

I thought the premiere was okay. Really just a big setup and reunion piece. Hoping next episode gets more action.

Likes russ_watters
Does anyone believe we will ever see another book in the series, and if Winds of Winter ever does come out, will you read it? I gave up on GRRM a few years back and turned to GOT to see this story play out. I do not think George is capable of finishing the series.

Good setup for new conflicts and wrapped up old ones.

If he lives another ten years I think they will. There has been a little news about "The Winds of Winter" and "A Dream of Spring" lately. I would read them because I bet there is so much more information than the TV series.

WOW! S8 E3 was amazing! One of the best episodes of any fantasy franchise or movie. Well done HBO!

Likes russ_watters and BillTre
Today I Learned:

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if Tyrion ends up on the throne because everyone else dies. :oldtongue:

BTW, anyone else care to guess who comes out on top?

Greg Bernhardt said:
I just finished season 1! I'm a huge fan now!
Everyone is going on about it at work.
Everyone said I should like it because I am a huge Lord of the Rings fan but most are not aware I really hated the films when they came out.
Sean Bean was good as Boromir but a lot of it was rubbish.
Sean Bean is in Game of Thrones yes?

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
Does anyone want to opine on the difficult physics involved in hitting a flying dragon with a ballista mounted on a rolling ship?

Writing is getting sloppier the further the series goes from GRRM's books

Likes Greg Bernhardt
BWV said:
Does anyone want to opine on the difficult physics involved in hitting a flying dragon with a ballista mounted on a rolling ship?
There were a ton of ballista's though. They were going for spread.

Yeah, that seems difficult.

When I was in grad school, I had some friends in econometrics. As first year students they had lots of math problems to do.
One they thought was particularly difficult was to determine the statistical spread of shots from a ship that was rolling, pitching, surging, etc. while shooting at a distant target.

I thought Daenerys should have attacked the ships with dragon at night.
Ships can't aim in the dark.
Anchored ships are sitting targets.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Yes or just attacked them from above or behind.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and BillTre
Heh, I liked daneirous (sp? lol) getting a bit of reality. Roll up all cocky thinking you got this, then bam, AA fire. I mean did she honestly think the other guys weren't actively trying to come up with a way to defeat your super weapon?

Re accuracy, only a few arrows hit, vs the amount fired. What I found off was the impact energy of said arrows when tyrion was trying to get off the boat, some would smash nearly half the ship off, others gently embedded in wood.

The tactical/strategic stupidity is what got me though.

Why did cersei not just finish them all off when they were sitting there? At the very least get rid of the last dragon?

How is it you plan an invasion and don't send advance scouts, who might have warned of said AA installations?

Those balistas surely have a maximum engagement height? re configure your dragons to be bombers? Stay high out of range and even just drop rocks. This was an irritation from when the first dragon went down with the ice spear.

If you had scouts, that might have made you bring the siege weapons you had shown just last episode against the zombies, those catapults are indirect fire, vs the balista which is more a direct fire weapon, ie the nature of artillery means it can be behind something that would protect it from the balistas.

BillTre said:
Anchored ships are sitting targets.

Square rigged ships in general are basically sitting targets compared to modern naval vessels, they are basically stuck running down wind or maybe at best can get to beam reach.

Still possible so far.
Borg said:
Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if Tyrion ends up on the throne because everyone else dies. :oldtongue:

I added "spoilers" to the thread title so we can talk plainly. They are certainly setting up for Dany vs Jon/Arya confrontation in the end. I think if Jon does survive he's beyond accepting the throne. Some say Arya will, but she is not a ruler and more a lone wolf. It does appear more and more that Tyrion is best suited.

Likes russ_watters
After he (re)marries Sansa

Likes Borg
4u0Jgzu.jpg

• Haha
Likes BillTre, essenmein, Borg and 1 other person
That explains a lot.

What's everyone take on the last episode and last season? I felt it was all very rushed and just about tying ends up. Very few real surprises. I thought the battle of winterfell was excellent and the rest very meh.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I added "spoilers" to the thread title so we can talk plainly. They are certainly setting up for Dany vs Jon/Arya confrontation in the end. I think if Jon does survive he's beyond accepting the throne. Some say Arya will, but she is not a ruler and more a lone wolf. It does appear more and more that Tyrion is best suited.
Well, I have to give you props for that prediction; it's spot on about the direction and the uncertainty it left regarding who would be on the throne. The choice...
Greg Bernhardt said:
What's everyone take on the last episode and last season? I felt it was all very rushed and just about tying ends up. Very few real surprises. I thought the battle of winterfell was excellent and the rest very meh.
IMO, the entire season was rushed due to the decision for it to be only 6 episodes. A lot of fans and reviewers gave it bad marks mostly based on that reason. Setting that aside, I liked it for the most part. Sure it went where you expected (both the season and last episode), but I'm not sure it could have gone any other way, except of course for who got the throne -- that was out of left field and makes no sense.

I read a lot of criticisms about predictability, but here's the problem I see with that: you can only kill Ned Stark once. After that, everyone knows the gloves are off and even deaths/actions that aren't predicted aren't surprising anymore.

It also doesn't mean characters don't follow their personality. With Ned Stark's death, we all knew Joffrey was a sadistic bastard, we just didn't know where the line was (nonexistent). If that scene had happened in any other season, nobody would have been the least bit surprised that Joffrey had him killed.

BTW, you didn't happen to do a Death Pool before the season, did you? I did. For the most part, I over-estimated the number of deaths, but my big misses were predicting Bran to die and Dany to live.

The ending with Danerys going full Hitler was good, but they did not build enough of an arc for the character

Likes russ_watters
As a dog owner, the thing that tugged at me was the dragon flying off with his dead owner/keeper. Poor Drogon :(

<h2>1. What is Game of Thrones about?</h2><p>Game of Thrones is an American fantasy drama television series based on the series of fantasy novels, A Song of Ice and Fire, by George R. R. Martin. It follows the story of several noble families fighting for control of the Iron Throne, while also dealing with threats from beyond the Wall.</p><h2>2. How many seasons of Game of Thrones are there?</h2><p>There are a total of 8 seasons of Game of Thrones, with the final season airing in 2019.</p><h2>3. What is the average episode length of Game of Thrones?</h2><p>The average episode length of Game of Thrones is approximately 55 minutes, although some episodes may be longer or shorter.</p><h2>4. Are there any spoilers for Game of Thrones?</h2><p>Yes, this discussion may contain spoilers for the show. If you have not finished watching the series, it is recommended to avoid reading further.</p><h2>5. Is Game of Thrones appropriate for all ages?</h2><p>No, Game of Thrones contains mature content including violence, nudity, and strong language. It is not suitable for younger viewers.</p>

1. What is Game of Thrones about?

Game of Thrones is an American fantasy drama television series based on the series of fantasy novels, A Song of Ice and Fire, by George R. R. Martin. It follows the story of several noble families fighting for control of the Iron Throne, while also dealing with threats from beyond the Wall.

2. How many seasons of Game of Thrones are there?

There are a total of 8 seasons of Game of Thrones, with the final season airing in 2019.

3. What is the average episode length of Game of Thrones?

The average episode length of Game of Thrones is approximately 55 minutes, although some episodes may be longer or shorter.

4. Are there any spoilers for Game of Thrones?

Yes, this discussion may contain spoilers for the show. If you have not finished watching the series, it is recommended to avoid reading further.

5. Is Game of Thrones appropriate for all ages?

No, Game of Thrones contains mature content including violence, nudity, and strong language. It is not suitable for younger viewers.