Plastic sinker container was melted

In summary, the conversation is about a melted plastic sinker container that was caused by a chemical reaction with artificial bait, specifically powerbait. The bait contains a compound that dissolves petroleum products, which is what the sinker container is made of. The conversation also mentions the possibility of alcohol being the dissolving agent and provides some resources for information on solvents and plastics.
Ok,
I was getting ready to go fishing the other day, when i noticed that my plastic sinker container was melted, but i didn't know how. I then noticed a type of artificial bait (powerbait to be exact) seemed to be the culprit. I did not know how this could have happened, being that i didn't think it would have gotten hot, for that would have burnt my fishing vest, so i assume that it was some sort of chemical reaction. Being that I am not exactly the chem expert, i was wondering if i could get an explination.

Fibonacci

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm no expert either. Someone correct me if I am wrong here. The plastic in your sinker container is a petroleum product. It is oil based. The artificial bait has a compound that dissolves petroleum products. Something containing alcohol would do this.

Never buy beer in plastic bottles.

Alcohols often come in plastic containers. Consider the isopropyl alcohol that is sold in every drug-store.

I did a web search on "power bait" and found that it's called a "soft plastic" bait. There's an old rule in chemistry that's usually valid which goes "like dissolves like." If the bait has similar chemical properties to the bait container, and is liquid/mushy, it will probably dissolve the container.

Some information on solvents and plastics...
http://www.polyplastics.com/en/support/tech/treat/treat_1.html [Broken]
http://www.polymerweb.com/cgi-bin/message1/591.html
Your tackle box is most likely polypropylene.
It may not be an alcohol. It could be something else that is dissolving your sinker box. Alcohol was just an example. Does the powerbait say what it is made of? I'm not sure what kind you have and the web doesn't seem to mention their chemical composition. What is your sinker box made of?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why did the plastic sinker container melt?

The plastic sinker container likely melted due to exposure to high temperatures, either from external sources or from the contents of the container itself.

2. Is melted plastic harmful to the environment?

Yes, melted plastic can be harmful to the environment as it releases toxic chemicals and can take hundreds of years to break down.

3. Can melted plastic be recycled?

In most cases, melted plastic cannot be recycled as it has undergone a chemical change and is no longer in its original form. However, some specialized recycling facilities may be able to process certain types of melted plastic.

4. How can I prevent my plastic sinker container from melting?

To prevent your plastic sinker container from melting, avoid exposing it to high temperatures and store it in a cool, dry place. It is also important to ensure that the container is made of high-quality, heat-resistant plastic.

5. Are there any alternative materials to plastic for sinker containers?

Yes, there are alternative materials such as glass, metal, or biodegradable plastics that can be used for sinker containers. These materials may be more environmentally friendly and less prone to melting.