The 'Verse from Firefly/Serenity

• Thread starter SMJB
  • Start date
In summary, a discussion about a pair of maps has led to questioning their accuracy and scientific consistency. The maps are fictional and part of a fan fiction forum, but they claim to be astronomically sound. However, inconsistencies have been pointed out, such as a blue sun and unstable solar system configurations. Some argue that this is just a work of fiction and not meant to be scientifically accurate, while others prefer a more realistic approach. The purpose of the forum is to discuss the physics of science fiction, but not everyone may agree with this approach.
SMJB
A pair of maps.

http://fireflyforumrp.proboards.com/thread/22

Right, I first started suspecting that something was hinky with the Complete and Official Map of the 'Verse when I realized that Red Sun was in Georgia's L3 position. Doesn't seem particularly stable when dealing with a timescale of stellar lifetimes. But it claims to be astronomically sound, so I was going to give them the benefit of a doubt.

However, Blue Sun is blue, and since it turns out there's no such thing as a blue dwarf (well, there will be in about three hundred billion years, but that's neither here nor there) I can only assume it's a blue giant--meaning it's far more massive than White Sun.

Right, your job is to either show me that I'm a fool for doubting or come up with a better configuration for the suns of the 'verse.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. This is fiction. It's not real.
2. This is fan fiction. It's even less real.
3. In the show, "Blue Sun" was a brand. It doesn't imply a real in-universe blue sun any more than "Green Giant" implies that there are actual green giants on the earth.
4. There are blue (class O and B) subdwarfs.

A blue star would be a very, very bad place to terraform a planet. The spectrum is massively shifted towards the UV-range and the star doesn't last long enough before it heads off the main sequence, not long enough for a terraformable planet to form and cool down.

These maps also have a lot of stars that are in orbit around stars that are in turn in orbit around stars... For that to be a stable configuration for each such step there must be a big difference in mass. Like, massive. It also appears to have a lot of habitable planets crammed into the same goldilocks-zones, likely far too many per star, which would lead to orbital perturbations which would make the configuration unstable.

It is sad when TV-shows with space cowboys don't respect science...

Last edited:
vemvare said:
It is sad when TV-shows with space cowboys don't respect science...

But they're not ABOUT science. They're about selling soap.

Vanadium 50 said:
1. This is fiction. It's not real.
2. This is fan fiction. It's even less real.
3. In the show, "Blue Sun" was a brand. It doesn't imply a real in-universe blue sun any more than "Green Giant" implies that there are actual green giants on the earth.
4. There are blue (class O and B) subdwarfs.
1. Stop being a killjoy.
2. Firstly, this is actually "Official", which is basically "canon-lite". Secondly, stop being a killjoy.
3. TVIN--and the very maps I linked to--both have actual, physical places called Blue Sun.

SMJB said:
1. Stop being a killjoy.
2. Firstly, this is actually "Official", which is basically "canon-lite". Secondly, stop being a killjoy.
3. TVIN--and the very maps I linked to--both have actual, physical places called Blue Sun.

Uh ... if someone giving you factual information is your version of someone being a killjoy, you are REALLY not going to like this forum.

Personally, I'd prefer bringing in "one big lie" like FTL instead of the way those maps dances yodeling around everything we know about stellar and planetary evolution, orbital mechanics and the fact that A CIVILIZATION CAPABLE OF TERRAFORMING TWO DOZEN PLANETS IN A REASONABLE TIME-FRAME ARE POPULATED BY COWBOYS.

killjoy
Its a natural reaction, you are asking us to hold back too much of our instincts. It is like when someone on that-other-forum goes "guys, what if Japan takes Siberia and thereby the axis win the second world war!?" and everyone on there with the slightest idea of how history/logistics/climate/terrain works goes "myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyynnnnnnnnnhhhhhhhhhhh"

phinds said:
Uh ... if someone giving you factual information is your version of someone being a killjoy, you are REALLY not going to like this forum.
Complaining about someone wanting to discuss the physics of a science fiction universe on the sci-fi and fantasy board of a physics forum is not giving anyone (meaningful) information.
vemvare said:
Personally, I'd prefer bringing in "one big lie" like FTL instead of the way those maps dances yodeling around everything we know about stellar and planetary evolution, orbital mechanics and the fact that A CIVILIZATION CAPABLE OF TERRAFORMING TWO DOZEN PLANETS IN A REASONABLE TIME-FRAME ARE POPULATED BY COWBOYS.
Yeah, well, that won't necesarilly result in the creation of any interesting solar systems, and definitely not as interesting as what happens if we try to cram it all together. :P
Its a natural reaction, you are asking us to hold back too much of our instincts. It is like when someone on that-other-forum goes "guys, what if Japan takes Siberia and thereby the axis win the second world war!?" and everyone on there with the slightest idea of how history/logistics/climate/terrain works goes "myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyynnnnnnnnnhhhhhhhhhhh"
...Except that's the opposite of what's happening? I'm taking something fictional and trying to make is slightly more realistic.

SMJB said:
Complaining about someone wanting to discuss the physics of a science fiction universe on the sci-fi and fantasy board of a physics forum is not giving anyone (meaningful) information.
I think you misunderstand the purpose of this forum.

SMJB said:
Where in his post was there any 'complaining'? All I saw were statements of fact.

1. What is "The 'Verse" in Firefly/Serenity?

The 'Verse, short for Universe, is the fictional star system in which the TV series Firefly and its follow-up movie Serenity take place. It is a cluster of planets and moons that have been terraformed and colonized by humans, after Earth was abandoned due to overpopulation and depletion of resources.

2. How did the 'Verse come to be in Firefly/Serenity?

In the Firefly universe, the 'Verse was created through a combination of advanced terraforming technology and the use of "massive earth-moving machines" called "terraforming crawlers". These machines were used to reshape the surface of planets and moons, making them habitable for humans.

3. What are the main planets in the 'Verse in Firefly/Serenity?

The main planets in the 'Verse are the core planets: Ariel, Bernadette, Londinium, and Sihnon. These planets are the wealthiest and most technologically advanced, and are controlled by the Alliance. The outer planets, also known as the Border Planets, include Persephone, Beaumonde, and Triumph. These planets are less developed and more lawless, and are home to the crew of the spaceship Serenity.

4. How does the 'Verse affect the characters in Firefly/Serenity?

The 'Verse plays a crucial role in shaping the lives of the characters in Firefly/Serenity. Many of them are from different planets and have different backgrounds, which influences their personalities and motivations. The 'Verse also presents challenges and opportunities for the characters as they navigate through the political landscape and encounter different cultures and technologies.

5. Are there any scientific inaccuracies in the portrayal of the 'Verse in Firefly/Serenity?

As with any fictional universe, there are bound to be some scientific inaccuracies in the portrayal of the 'Verse in Firefly/Serenity. Some critics have pointed out that the terraforming process depicted in the show is not scientifically plausible, as it would require an immense amount of energy and resources. Additionally, the existence of gravity on spaceships and smaller moons also goes against the laws of physics. However, it is important to remember that Firefly/Serenity is a work of fiction and not meant to be completely scientifically accurate.