MONIAC Computer Programming Company

In summary, the conversation covers the topic of a alternate history/soft sci-fi novel involving a company that developed and tested MONIAC Computers for the military. The goal is to determine a fictional development timeline and explore potential commercial use and profitability of the MONIAC. The conversation also delves into books on computer history and WWII operations, as well as the real MONIAC and its potential in an alternate history scenario. The conversation ends with a suggestion for another alternative history track involving Conrad Zuse computers evolving into robotics and integrating with modern technology to create thinking robots.
gusty737
I'm creating a alternate history/soft sci-fi novel with a company that developed and tested MONIAC Computers for the military before programming for profit in the 1960's. I'm looking to determine a fictional development timeline as well as a way to figure out the commercial use and profitability of the MONIAC.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Since it's for the military, it would be a secret project so most people wouldn't know about it. From there you might be able to slow the history of computers as less knowledgeable people means less new developments unless there is a clear need like say WWII is still being waged.

You could perhaps follow the enigma decoding effort by Turing and others and sprinkle in the development of Atanasov and his novel machine who's concepts found their way into the ENIAC of Mauchley and Eckert.

Another history to consider is the Conrad Zuse electromechanical computer that was replaced by the development of the transistor in the 1960s.

A timeline might be:

Computer can do arithmetic functions
Conditional logic and go to capability added
Subroutine capability added
Memory storage moves from vacuum tubes to magnetic core to transistor to ic
Similar line for other hardware

There's some books on computer history on amazon that may help and on WWII Operations that were planned but never happened.

could you recommend some helpful computer history books? i like to get reading lists for my research books.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a bit confused by your post. There was a real MONIAC analog computer that was designed and built after WWII, but it was meant as a physical demonstration of how macro economics worked, and had nothing to do with military intelligence. Google will find the details. There are several copies of it in museums etc around the world. Or is your MONIAC an invented name in your alternate history?

This http://www.amazon.com/dp/0471048852/?tag=pfamazon01-20 is mainly about Seymour Cray and the development of supercomputers, but the early chapters have some nice stories about the rather chaotic start of the commercial computer industry in the USA after the end of WWII - but nothing much about the WWII military systems themselves.

i know about the real MONIAC. i know it was used for economics in the real world and that it was developed in new zealand. the alternate history bit was that the soviet union in reality saw promise in its design but passed it over for analog computing instead. the POD in the alternate history was that the company adapted the basic MONIAC structure for military economics and achieved some sort of innovation that way.

gusty737 said:
i know about the real MONIAC. i know it was used for economics in the real world and that it was developed in new zealand. the alternate history bit was that the soviet union in reality saw promise in its design but passed it over for analog computing instead. the POD in the alternate history was that the company adapted the basic MONIAC structure for military economics and achieved some sort of innovation that way.

Another alternative history track could be that Conrad Zuse computers win the day, take over and being electromechanical in design evolve into robotics and then extend them with recently discovered integrated circuit tech creating a thinking robot...

1. What is MONIAC Computer Programming Company?

MONIAC Computer Programming Company is a software development company that specializes in creating computer programs for a variety of industries. They offer services such as custom software development, web development, mobile application development, and more.

2. What sets MONIAC Computer Programming Company apart from other software development companies?

MONIAC Computer Programming Company prides itself on its team of highly skilled and experienced developers who are constantly staying updated with the latest technologies and industry trends. They also prioritize customer satisfaction and strive to deliver high-quality, efficient solutions to their clients.

3. Does MONIAC Computer Programming Company offer any other services besides software development?

Yes, in addition to software development, MONIAC Computer Programming Company also offers IT consulting, project management, and technical support services. They aim to be a one-stop-shop for all their clients' technology needs.

4. How does MONIAC Computer Programming Company ensure the security and confidentiality of their clients' information?

MONIAC Computer Programming Company takes the security and confidentiality of their clients' information very seriously. They have strict protocols in place to protect sensitive data and follow industry best practices for data encryption and privacy. They also have non-disclosure agreements in place with their clients.

5. Can MONIAC Computer Programming Company work with clients from different industries?

Yes, MONIAC Computer Programming Company has experience working with clients from various industries such as healthcare, finance, retail, and more. They have a diverse portfolio of projects that showcase their ability to adapt to different industries and deliver successful solutions.