Is Free Will Just an Illusion? A Look at Benjamin Libet's Research

• Thread starter BigMacnFries
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the conversation revolves around Benjamin Libet's work on free will and whether it suggests that all behavior is brain-based. Some participants argue that Libet's work challenges the concept of free will, while others point out that Libet himself does not draw anti-free-will conclusions. There is also discussion about the role of the autonomic system in human behavior and its relation to conscious direction. Ultimately, the conversation is seen as interesting and thought-provoking.
BigMacnFries
Has anyone Benjamin Libet's work on free will (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Libet is a brief summary). Does anyone know of any objections to why his work does not suggest that all behavior is brain based. Does it seem really weird to anyone one else that all this I/ you are doing could be physically based?

Physics news on Phys.org
We had a couple of threads on Libet's work a few months ago. It does indeed throw a challenge to the concept of free will.

As usual, everyone is overlookign the fact that Libet himself does not draw
an anti-free-will conclusions. Readiness potentials are not always followed
by actions, which Libet considers as constituing a veto or "free won't".

I don't see a basis for the leap from Libet's study to the conclusion that human behavior is only brain-based. So what if part of the biological system is programmed or reactive, that doesn't mean all of consciousness is. To me it is logical that the physical system could react without conscious direction to help with survival (isn't the autonomic system doing some of that?). So if my hand wants to move before I will it to, that might just be my autoreact system beating out my will system.

Thanks, i found the previous thread, very interesting

1. What do you mean by "It wasn't me, it was my brain"?

This phrase refers to the concept of neuroplasticity, which is the idea that the brain can change and adapt based on experiences and environment. It suggests that our actions and behaviors are largely influenced by our brain and its neural connections, rather than being solely controlled by our conscious will.

2. Is this a way to avoid responsibility for our actions?

No, it is not meant to be an excuse for our actions. While our brain may influence our behaviors, we still have control over our actions and must take responsibility for them.

3. Can our brain change and improve over time?

Yes, neuroplasticity allows our brain to constantly adapt and change. With the right techniques and practices, we can improve our brain's function and even create new neural pathways.

4. How does this concept impact the nature versus nurture debate?

The idea of "It wasn't me, it was my brain" suggests that both nature and nurture play a role in our behaviors. Our genetic predispositions and environmental factors can shape our brain and influence our actions.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding neuroplasticity?

Yes, understanding neuroplasticity can have practical applications in various fields such as education, therapy, and rehabilitation. It can help us develop more effective learning strategies, improve mental health treatments, and aid in recovery from brain injuries or illnesses.