Mathematics Journal, Proof for

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from a journal about compositions of integers into relatively prime parts. The statement claims that for all integers n greater than or equal to 3, the number of compositions is a multiple of 3. The conversation includes a proposed proof and a formula that fails for n=5. The participants are looking for help to prove the statement. An example is given for n=4 to show that the end points of the compositions are a multiple of 3.
TimNguyen
Compositions into Relatively Prime Parts

Hello.

I was reading a journal and an interesting problem came up. I believe the journal was in the American Mathematics Society publications. Well, here's the statement.

"For all integers, n greater than or equal to 3, the number of compositions of n into relatively prime parts is a multiple of 3."

Example : For 4: the compositions of relatively prime parts are:

(1,3), (3,1), (2,1,1), (1,2,1), (1,1,2), (1,1,1,1).

This is what I have so far for a "proof":

Let n be an integer greater than or equal to 3.
Then the first composition will be given by (n-1, 1), (1, n-1); since for all k, an integer, (k, 1) and (1, k) are always relatively prime.
Also, (1, 1, ..., 1) where the composition adds to n is also an obtainable composition.

(So basically, I've gotten the end points of the compositions to be a multiple of 3, then I need to prove that the "in-between" compositions will also be a multiple of 3.)

Well, obviously I'm stuck there. I've tried to split it into two cases afterwards where the cases involve n - odd and n - even but it has come to no avail. Also I've tried to find a formula where the compositions of relatively prime parts is a multiple of 3 but it fails at "6". Here was the formula I came up with that failed, if it could be potentially be improved upon.

Formula: Starting at n=1, where i=3, i being the starting point.

(i)!/2^n

Like:
For 3, 3! = 6 divided by 2^1 = 2 will equal 3 compositions- a multiple of 3
For 4, 4! = 24 divided by 2^2 = 4 will equal 6 compositions - a multiple of 3
For 5, 5! = 120 divided by 2^3 = 8 will equal 15 compositions - multiple of 3

Well, hopefully people will post their ideas...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any algebraist in here that could help?

Well, I've still been trying to prove this for the past week. I think there may be some recursion sequence or something. Well, I've tried listing the compositions and here's the results:

n=3 : 3 compositions
n=4 : 6 compositions
n=5 : 15 compositions
n=6 : 27 compositions
n=7 : 63 compositions
n=8 : 129 compositions

I'm predicting that n=9 : 387 compositions
n=10 : 687 compositions

Anyone feel like lending a hand...?

Last edited:
Maybe I don't really get what you mean... But for n = 5, I get 10 compositions, which means it fails for n = 5.
n = 5:
(1, 4), (4, 1)
(1, 1, 3), (1, 3, 1), (3, 1, 1)
(1, 1, 1, 2), (1, 1, 2, 1), (1, 2, 1, 1), (2, 1, 1, 1)
(1, 1, 1, 1, 1)
That's 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 = 10... :confused:
Viet Dao,

VietDao29 said:
Maybe I don't really get what you mean... But for n = 5, I get 10 compositions, which means it fails for n = 5.
n = 5:
(1, 4), (4, 1)
(1, 1, 3), (1, 3, 1), (3, 1, 1)
(1, 1, 1, 2), (1, 1, 2, 1), (1, 2, 1, 1), (2, 1, 1, 1)
(1, 1, 1, 1, 1)
That's 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 = 10... :confused:
Viet Dao,

You're forgetting:
(3,2), (2,3), (2,2,1), (2,1,2), (1,2,2),

which adds to 15.
:tongue2:

1. What is a mathematics journal?

A mathematics journal is a publication that contains articles, research papers, and other materials related to mathematics. These journals are typically peer-reviewed and serve as a platform for mathematicians to share their work with the scientific community.

2. What is a proof in mathematics?

A proof in mathematics is a logical argument that shows the validity of a mathematical statement. It involves using axioms, definitions, and previously proven theorems to establish the truth of a statement.

3. How is a proof structured in a mathematics journal?

A proof in a mathematics journal typically follows a structured format, starting with a statement of the theorem to be proven, followed by the proof itself and concluding with a restatement of the theorem and its implications. It may also include diagrams, equations, and other mathematical notation.

4. What makes a proof valid in a mathematics journal?

A proof is considered valid in a mathematics journal if it follows the rules of logic and adheres to the standards set by the journal's editorial board. This includes being well-written, clear, and concise, and providing sufficient evidence to support the statement being proven.

5. How are proofs checked for accuracy in a mathematics journal?

Proofs in a mathematics journal undergo a rigorous peer-review process, where other mathematicians in the same field review the proof for accuracy, clarity, and validity. Any errors or potential issues are addressed and the proof may be revised before being published in the journal.