Understanding IP Address Bans While Traveling Abroad

• Thread starter EnumaElish
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker encountered an error message stating their IP address was banned while trying to access PF while abroad. It was suggested that this could be due to using an open proxy server or being on a LAN that had previously been reported for nuisance activity. The speaker had tried accessing through a public proxy server, but many were also banned. It was mentioned that the speaker's connectedness while traveling is similar to using a nationwide ISP. It was also noted that the IP address was blocked in one location but not in another, despite being assigned by the same ISP.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
While I was traveling abroad I was not able to log in; an error message said my IP address was banned. Can anyone explain why that might have happened?

Physics news on Phys.org
How were you accessing PF? It has come up before that IP addresses from open proxy servers are blocked from accessing PF, so it could be that during your travels, you were using something that was an open proxy or that someone had reported as being one. That, or maybe you've stumbled upon some internet cafe where some past nuisance posted from and had their IP blocked. Did you have the problem in multiple locations, or just one place?

I once tried to access the forums through a public proxy server.. Matter of fact most of them seem banned - perhaps the ban is for originating port rather than one domain. In either case you were probably on a LAN in some internet cafe that used outbound ports 8080 or 3128 or just 80?

Thanks for the inputs.

The U.S. equivalent of my connectedness is having a single 900 number that anyone can dial in from anywhere and be connected to the Internet over a nation-wide Verizon, or Bell South, or SBC. I was never in an Internet cafe because I had my laptop with me and could dial that nation-wide ISP number.

A mentionable aspect is that the IP address was being blocked in a certain location but not in another location, although in both instances the IP was being assigned by the same nation-wide ISP. :rolleyes:

1. Why was my IP address banned in the first place?

There are several possible reasons why your IP address may have been banned. It could be due to suspicious or malicious activity, such as hacking attempts or spamming. It could also be a result of violating the terms of service of a website or online community. In some cases, your IP address may have been mistakenly banned due to a technical error.

2. How can I find out if my IP address is banned?

If you suspect that your IP address has been banned, you can try accessing the website or online service in question. If you receive an error message or are unable to connect, it is possible that your IP address has been banned. You can also check with the website or service administrator to confirm if your IP address is banned.

3. Can I get my IP address unbanned?

In most cases, it is possible to get your IP address unbanned. If your IP address was mistakenly banned, you can contact the website or service administrator to resolve the issue. However, if your IP address was banned for legitimate reasons, such as violating terms of service, it may be more difficult to get it unbanned. In some cases, you may need to take steps to address the issue that led to the ban before your IP address can be unbanned.

4. How long does an IP address ban last?

The duration of an IP address ban can vary depending on the reason for the ban. In some cases, it may be a temporary ban that lasts for a few hours or days. In more serious cases, the ban may be permanent. It is best to check with the website or service administrator to find out the specific duration of the ban and if it can be lifted.

5. Can I use a different IP address to access the banned website or service?

In some cases, using a different IP address may allow you to access a banned website or service. This could be done by using a virtual private network (VPN) or by connecting to a different network. However, it is important to note that attempting to bypass an IP address ban may be a violation of the website or service's terms of service and could result in further consequences.