Poison in cellular respiration.

• Thread starter alexwaylo2008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    poison
In summary: Cyanide has a lot of uncharged hydrogen atoms so it can diffuse through membranes more easily than water.
alexwaylo2008
When a poison such as cyanide blocks the electron transport chain during cellular respiration, glycolysis and the krebs cycle soon grind to halt as well. Which of the following is the best explanation for this?

a) A high level of NADH is present in the cell.
b) the uptake of oxygen stops because electrobn transport was inhibited.
c) NAD+ and FAD are not available for glycolysis and the krebs cycle does not continue.
d) electrons are no longer available from the electron transport chain to power glycolysis and the Krebs cycle.
e) they run out of ATP

I think it would be C, but I'm not very sure. Could someone confirm me my answer please?

Biology news on Phys.org
Both a) and c) are correct, though I think c) is more likely to be the right answer. If the electron transport chain is blocked, then the electron carriers NADH and FADH2 cannot unload their electrons into it, which means NAD+ and FAD are not regenerated. Since glycolysis and the Krebs cycle both require NAD+ (and the Krebs cycle requires FAD), both of these processes stop running.

I think it is B. Cyanide is a compettive inhibitor to oxygen. It binds to Hemoglobin far more effeciently than Oxygen molecules do.

Statement b) is true too (though the toxicity of cyanide results from its binding to cytochrome oxidase in the electron transport chain as stated in the problem, not to haemoglobin), but it's not the most direct cause of stopped glycolysis/Krebs cycle. A cell that could eliminate its buildup of NADH/FADH2 could still run glycolysis even under oxygen starvation - this is what your muscle cells do during anaerobic exercise.

How does cyanide get to the cells so effectively then?

Depends on how it's introduced. If it's inhaled, then it enters the bloodstream via the lungs, proceeds directly to the heart, and kills quickly. Oral toxicity is more gradual, but also passes through the bloodstream. In either case, if too much cyanide gets into the heart or CNS tissue, it binds irreversibly to cytochrome oxidase and kills the cell.

Kalirren said:
Depends on how it's introduced. If it's inhaled, then it enters the bloodstream via the lungs, proceeds directly to the heart, and kills quickly. Oral toxicity is more gradual, but also passes through the bloodstream. In either case, if too much cyanide gets into the heart or CNS tissue, it binds irreversibly to cytochrome oxidase and kills the cell.

Let me rephrase my question. How does cyanide dissolve so well in the blood stream. I realize what it does metabolically, what I was trying to point out though is a characteristic of poisons.

Cyanide competes with oxygen for binding at respiratory complex 4, Cytochrome C Oxidase. NADH is still able to feed electrons into the chain, they just never reach their final destination. That should help answer your question.

t-money said:
How does cyanide get to the cells so effectively then?

Small, uncharged polar molecules such as water diffuse reasonably well through cell membranes. Cyanide (HCN) may be slightly larger than water but it is also less polar. Remember the Hydrogen is bonded to carbon which is a mostly non polar bond.

1. What role does poison play in cellular respiration?

Poison can disrupt the process of cellular respiration, which is the conversion of nutrients into energy for the cell. This can lead to a decrease in the production of ATP, the cell's main source of energy. In extreme cases, poison can completely shut down cellular respiration, leading to cell death.

2. What types of poison can affect cellular respiration?

There are various types of poison that can impact cellular respiration, including heavy metals, pesticides, and certain drugs. These substances can interfere with the enzymes and other molecules involved in cellular respiration, disrupting the normal function of the process.

3. How does poison affect the different stages of cellular respiration?

Poison can affect different stages of cellular respiration in different ways. For example, some poisons may block the transport of electrons in the electron transport chain, while others may inhibit the enzymes involved in the Krebs cycle. This disruption can lead to a decrease in ATP production and impair the cell's ability to function properly.

4. Can poison be beneficial to cellular respiration in any way?

In some cases, low doses of certain poisons can actually stimulate cellular respiration. This is because these substances can act as electron acceptors in the electron transport chain, increasing the rate of ATP production. However, at high doses, these same poisons can have a negative effect on cellular respiration.

5. How can scientists study the effects of poison on cellular respiration?

Scientists can use various techniques to study the impact of poison on cellular respiration, including cell cultures and animal studies. They can also measure changes in ATP production and oxygen consumption in response to different levels of poison exposure. Additionally, advanced imaging techniques, such as confocal microscopy, can be used to observe the effects of poison on specific organelles involved in cellular respiration.