Economics and Foreign Language

In summary, this economics major is trying to decide what foreign language to take next year. She is already fluent in Spanish, and would like her language choice to compliment her major. Some possible languages to consider include Portuguese, French, Arabic, and Chinese.
rangerrand
I'm an economics major. I am trying to decide what foreign language I should take next year. I am already fluent in Spanish, and I would like my language choice to be a nice complement to my major.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rangerrand

Science news on Phys.org
rangerrand said:
I'm an economics major. I am trying to decide what foreign language I should take next year. I am already fluent in Spanish, and I would like my language choice to be a nice complement to my major.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rangerrand

I personally don't know enough to advise you. Possibly your post will be moved to the education and career forum. Many experienced people there, often very helpful.

I will tell you my reaction, for what it's worth. I think you have to tell us more about your goals.

If you plan to go into BUSINESS with emphasis on international trade and the globalization of manufacturing and sales, or into international investment banking, then I think you might consider PORTUGUESE for several reasons.

If you are fluent in Spanish then it ought to be very easy to learn. Plus the Brazil economy has been growing and is very important to the world economy.

A lot of economic growth and investment opportunity is centered in the BRIC nations Brazil, Russia, India, China. But Russian and Chinese are difficult languages to learn. with Chinese there is the strange system of writing. Russian alphabet is comparatively easy but the language is highly inflected, you conjugate verbs, decline nouns, quite a bit worse than German, for example. Also many educated Russians know English so you can talk with them. Many in India also speak English. So I see a definite payoff to Portuguese.

But your goals make a big difference. Suppose you plan to work in Africa, maybe you want to work for a DEVELOPMENT agency, in some developing countries. then I wouldn't know what to suggest. Portuguese wouldn't be especially advantageous. French? Swahili? one of the Bantu group?

There is always a shortage of people who know Arabic, I believe. There is going to be that Middle East puzzle for years to come, made of Resentment, Blunders, and Oil. If you like challenges you might try Arabic.

But the other people doubtless have ideas more to the point. I will just suggest Portuguese and leave it at that.

Arabic (Middle East and North Africa) and French (Middle East and parts of Africa) come to mind.

Chinese and Russian would probably also be useful, too given their economic clout these days.

French is still used in numerous countries outside of France, and might be the easiest to learn since you already know Spanish (if you don 't opt for Portuguese, then)

My first thought was french as well and another romance language, like Arildno pointed out, would be easier. It's also more commonly known but will look good on a resume. Chinese and Japanese are good for business/economics though most chinese or japanese that you will deal with will likely know english and probably better than you know their language, they will stand out on a resume though.
Astro's Suggestion of Arabic is a very interesting idea. I have no idea how much necessity for it exists. It may look quite good on a resume and may get you involved in some interesting projects. At the same time if the demand is limited there may be a preference for native speakers.
Portuguese was historically a good language for trade. I have no idea about its use in modern times though.

http://marriottschool.byu.edu/gmc/programs/language_c.cfm
There's a list of 'business language' courses. It'll probably give you an idea of which ones are more common. And it does include portuguese. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
I double posted it because someone suggested that I do that. GOSH.

rangerrand said:
I double posted it because someone suggested that I do that. GOSH.

My bad, Ranger, sorry I got you into some flack. I didn't think about the no-double-posting business. It just occurred to me that the Education and Career advice forum would be the ideal place to get suggestions.

I hope you do get some responses though, in that other forum. As I recall the regulars there are usually a very helpful bunch, and they share their collective experience.

1. What is the relationship between economics and foreign language?

Economics and foreign language are closely intertwined as they both involve the study of human behavior and interactions. Knowledge of a foreign language can open up economic opportunities, such as being able to communicate and conduct business with people from different countries. Additionally, understanding the economic systems and policies of other countries can aid in making informed decisions about trade and investments.

2. How does learning a foreign language impact the economy?

Learning a foreign language can have a positive impact on the economy in several ways. It can increase the number of skilled workers available for international business, making it easier for companies to expand globally. It can also attract foreign investments and boost tourism, as people are more likely to visit or invest in a country if they can communicate with locals in their own language.

3. Is there a correlation between a country's economic success and its citizens' knowledge of foreign languages?

While there is no definitive answer, many experts believe that there is a strong correlation between a country's economic success and its citizens' knowledge of foreign languages. Countries with a high level of multilingualism often have more robust international trade and better economic ties with other countries. Additionally, being able to communicate with international partners and customers in their native language can lead to more successful business transactions.

4. How can studying economics and foreign language benefit an individual's career?

The combination of economics and foreign language skills can greatly benefit an individual's career. It can open up job opportunities in various industries, such as international business, finance, and diplomacy. It can also lead to higher-paying positions, as multilingual individuals are in high demand in the global job market. Furthermore, understanding the economic systems and policies of other countries can give individuals a competitive edge in their field.

5. Are there any disadvantages to learning a foreign language for economic purposes?

While there are many benefits to learning a foreign language for economic purposes, there can also be some disadvantages. It requires a significant time and financial investment to become proficient in a new language, which may not always yield immediate economic returns. Additionally, the demand for specific languages may fluctuate, making it difficult to predict which language will be most valuable in the job market. However, the overall benefits of learning a foreign language for economic purposes often outweigh these potential disadvantages.