Higgs, Fermi-Dirac distribution, and Pauli exclusion principle

In summary, the conversation discusses the Higgs Mechanism and its implications on the mass of particles. The speaker has two questions, one about the different points after SSB and before the universe cooled down, and the other about the Fermi-Dirac distribution and Pauli exclusion principle during a hot universe. The expert explains that the masses scale with the VEV of the Higgs and that fluctuations become important near the transition point. The expert also clarifies that the VEV grows continuously from zero and that triple and quartic Higgs vertices are important in this case. The speaker also brings up some figures to clarify their understanding.
distanceless
hi,

I am studying the Higgs Mechanism these days. And I get two questions. I hope some ones could help me.

1>We know that due to the non-zero VEV, SSB takes place and higgs condensates give masses to bosons and fermions. I wonder that after the SSB and before the universe became as cool as today, what are different points? All the masses should be smaller, and what about renormalization?

2>When the universe was hot enough that all partiles are massless, what Fermi-Dirac distribution and Pauli exclusion principle would be ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. The masses scale with the VEV of the Higgs. Using a Ginzburg-Landau model, the VEV grows continuously from zero, but with a divergent rate at the point of transition. However, that's assuming that the temperature corresponds to the quadratic term in the GL model. Furthermore, fluctuations (both thermal and quantum) will be important. Near the transition point fluctuations will dominate, and the quadratic treatment will be insufficient; diagrams containing the the three and four Higgs vertices will become increasing important.

2. Nothing changes.

Thank you.

In the picture, the Fig. 1 is used by many people to explain Higgs mechanism. When t<t1, SSB does not happen, and when t>t3, we have W/Z. Since I am not sure the exact meaning of "the VEV grows continuously from zero", I want to know when t1<t<t3, which one is correct, Fig.2, Fig.3 or neither?

And I cannot figure out why triple and quartic Higgs vertices are important in this case. Could you explain me more about this?

Attachments

• Diagram2.jpeg
    Diagram2.jpeg
    15.8 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:
I don't see what t1 and t3 are.

genneth said:
I don't see what t1 and t3 are.

t1 is the time that before t1, SSB does not take place. And t3>t1, after t3 the maxima VEV appears.

1. What is the Higgs field and why is it important?

The Higgs field is a fundamental quantum field that permeates all of space. It is responsible for giving particles their mass and is a key component of the Standard Model of particle physics. The discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012 confirmed the existence of the Higgs field and its importance in our understanding of the universe.

2. How does the Fermi-Dirac distribution describe the behavior of particles?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution is a statistical distribution used to describe the behavior of particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons. It takes into account the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. The distribution helps us understand the energy levels and probabilities of particles in a system at a given temperature.

3. What is the significance of the Pauli exclusion principle in chemistry?

In chemistry, the Pauli exclusion principle explains why atoms can form stable bonds and why the periodic table follows a specific pattern. It states that no two electrons in an atom can have the same set of quantum numbers, which determines their energy and position. This principle helps us understand the electronic structure of atoms and their reactivity.

4. How does the Higgs field interact with the other fundamental forces?

The Higgs field interacts with all other fundamental forces, including electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force, and the weak nuclear force. It does this by giving particles their mass, which determines how they interact with these forces. The Higgs field also interacts with itself, giving rise to the Higgs boson and contributing to the overall energy density of the universe.

5. Can the Higgs field be observed directly?

No, the Higgs field cannot be observed directly. However, its presence can be inferred through experiments, such as the Large Hadron Collider, which detected the Higgs boson. The effects of the Higgs field can also be seen in the masses of particles and the behavior of the fundamental forces.