Got any tips for smoking the perfect Thanksgiving turkey?

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is centered around Thanksgiving festivities and how different individuals are celebrating it. Some are having traditional turkey meals while others are trying new methods like grilling or smoking. There is also a mention of a unique dish involving oysters and some humor about smoking turkey in a comical way. Overall, the conversation is filled with well wishes and expressions of gratitude for the holiday.
Borek
Mentor
Happy Thanksgiving!

I suppose PF is one of these places where this approach to Thankgiving will be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://blogyourwine.zippykidcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/How-to-Cook-a-Turkey.jpg [Broken]

Happy holidays all. (Ha Ha, just a shot in my little private war against Thanksgiving).

Happy Thanksgiving, to all.

May the day be pleasant, joyful and peaceful.

I'm enjoying the morning reading the literature on the theoretical and experimental work concerning phonon and ambipolar contributions to the thermal conductivity of a particular polycrystalline ceramic over the range of temperature range of 300 to 3120 K. :smile:

Last edited:
Happy thanksgiving and have a terrific turkey or a good goose or a pleasant pheasant, but please not a chicken, that doesn't alliterate.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Just in case my pop up timer malfunctions, does anyone know if turkey jerky is any good?

http://www.toilette-humor.com/thanksgiving_cartoons/images/thanksgiving_pop_up.jpg [Broken]​

Or should I ask this in the food thread?

We have a chicken for today's meal. A turkey (even a small one) is overkill for just 2 people. I'd be eating turkey for a couple of weeks.

Edit: Chicken and giblets are ready to go into the oven as soon as it hits the pre-heat target.

Last edited:
Happy Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving! I'm smoking my turkey this year!

Happy Tday everyone! They're all having oysters! Yuck! That is an insult to our national heritage. So in order to maintain tradition, I'm going to BBQ a steak just like the Pilgrims did.

I'm sad that I couldn't go to this kind family who invited me to their house for Thanksgiving today, hope they enjoy it.

Happy thanksgiving to all, and I wish you enjoy the grace of being healthy and together with your family. :smile:

Evo said:
Happy Thanksgiving! I'm smoking my turkey this year!

After relaying our "Lesbian Tree climbing Goats" story at work yesterday, the conversation turned to "How does one properly smoke a Turkey"?, which of course resulted in the comment:

"You just need some really big rolling papers dude!"

Argh...

:rolleyes:

MY brother in law is grilling a turkey. Blackened and bloody turkey jerky sounds okay -
after two glasses of pinot noir...

jim mcnamara said:
MY brother in law is grilling a turkey. Blackened and bloody turkey jerky sounds okay -
after two glasses of pinot noir...
This is my first attempt at smoking a turkey, I hope i don't end up with turkey jerky. I'm sure there is some special trick to the wonderfully moist, smoked to the bone turkey from the big companies.

1. What is the origin of Thanksgiving?

The first Thanksgiving is believed to have taken place in 1621, when the colonists in Plymouth, Massachusetts held a feast to celebrate a successful harvest and give thanks for their blessings. However, the holiday has roots in ancient harvest festivals and has evolved over time to become a national holiday in the United States.

2. Why do we celebrate Thanksgiving?

Thanksgiving is a holiday that is meant to give thanks and express gratitude for the blessings in our lives. It is a time for family and friends to come together and share a meal, reflect on the past year, and appreciate the good things in life.

3. What are some traditional Thanksgiving foods?

Some traditional Thanksgiving foods include turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, stuffing, and pumpkin pie. However, different regions and families may have their own unique dishes and traditions for the holiday.

4. How is Thanksgiving celebrated in other countries?

Thanksgiving is primarily a holiday celebrated in the United States and Canada. However, some countries such as Liberia and Grenada also have their own versions of Thanksgiving that may have different origins and traditions.

5. What are some alternatives for celebrating Thanksgiving?

Some alternatives for celebrating Thanksgiving may include volunteering at a local charity, having a small gathering with friends, or participating in a virtual Thanksgiving celebration. It is also a time to get creative and find ways to express gratitude and give back to the community in meaningful ways.