Derivating a Yukawa theory loop-integral

The argument of the gamma function changes from "1-d/2" to "2-d/2".In summary, the conversation discusses a difficulty in computing a derivative of a loop integral in Yukawa theory and the change in the argument of the gamma function from "1-d/2" to "2-d/2" in the calculation. The person also requests a detailed calculation for this derivation.
Ace10
Hello fellow physicists,

during some calculations for a project regarding Renormalization, I had a difficulty in computing a derivative of a loop integral in Yukawa theory. The thing I'm reffering to can be found in Peskin and Schroeder's book, Introduction to QFT , in Chapter 10 page 329-330.

Question #1:

How the gamma function's argument changes from "1-d/2" (10.33) to "2-d/2" (10.35) ?

Question #2:

Could please somebody show me a detailed calculation of the derivation? I cannot get the finel form, with "x(1-x)" in the numerator and plus the denominator has power "2-d/2" and i think that normally the power should be "-d/2"

Thank you very much in advance..

Physics news on Phys.org
Ace10 said:
How the gamma function's argument changes from "1-d/2" (10.33) to "2-d/2" (10.35) ?
When you take the derivative of the denominator, a factor of 1-d/2 comes out, and then use the identity zΓ(z) = Γ(z+1).

Likes 1 person

1. What is a Yukawa theory loop-integral?

A Yukawa theory loop-integral is a mathematical calculation used in theoretical physics to describe the interactions between particles in a quantum field theory. It involves integrating over all possible paths of particles, taking into account their mass, charge, and other properties.

2. Why is derivating a Yukawa theory loop-integral important?

Derivating a Yukawa theory loop-integral allows us to calculate the behavior and properties of particles at a quantum level. This is important in understanding the fundamental laws of nature and predicting the outcomes of experiments.

3. How is a Yukawa theory loop-integral derived?

A Yukawa theory loop-integral is derived using a combination of mathematical techniques, including Feynman diagrams, perturbation theory, and renormalization. It involves breaking down the interaction between particles into smaller components and calculating their contributions to the overall integral.

4. What are the challenges in calculating a Yukawa theory loop-integral?

One of the main challenges in calculating a Yukawa theory loop-integral is dealing with infinities that arise in the calculations. These infinities need to be properly addressed and removed through the process of renormalization, which can be a complex and time-consuming task.

5. How is a Yukawa theory loop-integral used in practical applications?

A Yukawa theory loop-integral is used in practical applications to make predictions and test the validity of theoretical models. It is also used in particle physics experiments to analyze data and compare with theoretical calculations, helping us to further our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe.