Elevating my Understanding of Electrical Engineering

by Alec049
Tags: electrical, elevating, engineering
Share this thread:
Alec049
Apr22-14, 02:32 PM
P: 2
Hello PhysicsForum's,
Over the last couple months I've been studying electrical engineering and I think I have pretty good grasp of the basics. I am a computer programmer so dealing with math and logical problems are not foreign to me, however, I've hit a road block. I realize now that I can't learn Electrical Engineering the same way I learned programming. I need a well written book. So, I was wondering if any of you could recommend me a book on Electrical/Mechanical Engineering.

I'm looking for a book that:
*Focuses heavily on the why the processes described works.
*Has some real practical use and isn't just for beginners or idiots.
*Explains in-depth on how to build custom radio transmitters and receivers, and explains why they work.
*Does not focus on things such as fixing household electronics.

As I said before, I'm a computer programmer and I'd really like to merge my understanding for software with the hardware side of things. I believe this could many doors for me, and I really appreciate any help I get.

Thanks,
Alec
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Student develops filter for clean water around the world
Developing the next evolution in underwater communication
nsaspook
Apr22-14, 03:07 PM
P: 591
I think you first need to evaluate your current grasp of the basics.
If you can answer most of the questions from these modules then you are at least the good technicians level.
http://www.phy.davidson.edu/instrumentation/NEETS.htm
jim hardy
Apr22-14, 05:00 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 3,505
ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook gets my vote.

Alec049
Apr22-14, 05:38 PM
P: 2
Elevating my Understanding of Electrical Engineering

Quote Quote by jim hardy View Post
ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook gets my vote.

Alright awesome, thanks Jim, I'm on my way to the library now to see if I can find a copy of it.
mjhilger
Apr22-14, 09:58 PM
P: 93
I would say if you are truly interested in learning the engineering side to the extent of understanding the why a circuit works, you need to start with the basics of Electrical Engineering. You should find the book used in an intro to Electrical Engineering so you might begin to understand how to analyze a circuit.

I agree that Jim has given you a suggestion of a good source to understand from a high level and some very basic "hobby" electronics information. You will need to determine if your interest in learning is from a hobby side where you will only construct and use information that others design, or if you want to design a circuit from the ground up and know why all the items are used.

Engineering is mainly about the understanding of how to analyze with the math behind and the models utilized. So as is hinted at above by others, if you understand the Engineering basics (the models and math), then continue with the Engineering text.

In my opinion.
mitch

Register to reply