How is a 3D Mass-Spring-Damper System Expressed in Mathematical Physics?

• Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d
In summary, the conversation discusses the expression of a 2D mass-spring-damper system and how it can be extended to three dimensions using polar and azimuth angles. The conversation also mentions using a spherical coordinate system to model the motion of a mass in a 3D MEMS accelerometer. There is also a request for help in finding equations of motion for a 2D spring mass lattice model and extending it to an n-dimensional case.
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
I know a 2d mass-spring-damper is expressed:

F = m g j − k D (sin θ i + cos θ j) − b (Vx i + Vy j)

m = mass
g = gavity
k = spring constant
D = string length displacement
Vx = Velocity X
Vy = Velocity Y

But how would you extend this to three dimensions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll just need to express the components of the radial vector using polar and azimuth angles: [itex](\sin \theta \cos \phi, \sin \theta \sin phi, \cos \phi)[/itex] where z is "up."

([itex]\theta[/itex] is the polar angle and [itex]\phi[/itex] is the azimuthal angle in standard spherical coordinates.)

Ah, spherical coordinate system. I should have realized that. So it should be the following for a case where the spring is anchored from above and the mass is dangling:

m (ax i + ay j + az k) = m g j − k D (sin(θ)cos(phi) i + sin(theta)sin(phi) j + cos(phi) k) − b (Vx i + Vy j + Vz k)

Now let's say a spring-damper is added to each face of a cube. I guess you could consider this new system a spring lattice but the ends of the springs are anchored instead of going to other masses. Could you apply a perpendicular rotation to the equation above for each face and sum up the forces due to each spring?

Just a note: I would eventually want to linearize the system by assuming very small deflections.

Last edited:
Sure, you could do that. It sounds like you're trying to analyze the motion of an atom in a lattice?

No I'm trying to model the motion of the mass inside of a 3d MEMS (Micro electro-mechanical system) accelerometer. The system is basically composed of a cube in the center that is held in place by piezoelectric bridges. When the bridges are compressed they generate a voltage. Based on position of the mass I can figure out what type of votage I'm generating which thus tells me the acceleration.

Last edited:
Mr dduardo you did not mentioned what does 'F' mean here ?

I am looking for a finite element model (actually a 2D spring mass lattice model which has springs not only at its sides but also 4 sides spring crossings at the center like 'x' or 2 sides spring crossings at the center like '/'), can be extended upto infinite length. I need the equations of motion for frequency and (phase)velocity with pre-stress and stressed conditions.
If anybody does know any helping material, paper, book, website or software for this. Then let me know, it would be a nice help for me.Thanks !

Tide said:
You'll just need to express the components of the radial vector using polar and azimuth angles: [itex](\sin \theta \cos \phi, \sin \theta \sin phi, \cos \phi)[/itex] where z is "up."

([itex]\theta[/itex] is the polar angle and [itex]\phi[/itex] is the azimuthal angle in standard spherical coordinates.)

how would you do the same for an n-dimensional case?

1. What is a 3d mass-spring-damper system?

A 3d mass-spring-damper system is a physical model used to represent the behavior of a mass (object), attached to a spring and a damper, in three-dimensional space. It is often used in engineering and physics to study the motion and vibrations of objects.

2. How does a 3d mass-spring-damper system work?

In a 3d mass-spring-damper system, the mass is connected to the spring, which provides a restoring force, and the damper, which dissipates energy. When the mass is displaced from its equilibrium position, the spring exerts a force on the mass to bring it back to its original position, while the damper reduces the amplitude of the vibrations.

3. What are the applications of a 3d mass-spring-damper system?

3d mass-spring-damper systems have various applications, including structural engineering, vehicle suspension systems, robotics, and earthquake engineering. They can also be used to study the behavior of biological systems, such as the human body.

4. What are the key parameters of a 3d mass-spring-damper system?

The key parameters of a 3d mass-spring-damper system are the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the damping coefficient of the damper. These parameters determine the behavior of the system, such as the frequency and amplitude of the vibrations.

5. What are the advantages of using a 3d mass-spring-damper system?

3d mass-spring-damper systems offer a simple and effective way to model the behavior of physical systems. They are useful for understanding and predicting the motion and vibrations of objects and can be easily adjusted to simulate different scenarios. Additionally, they are commonly used in real-world applications, making them a valuable tool for engineers and scientists.