Going Crazy: Solving an Isobaric Process Problem

In summary: The change in volume is 0.008, not -0.008. It should be W = (2E5)(0.008) = 1600 J. Then, the change in internal energy would be U = (3.53E3) - (1600) = 1930 J. It is important to pay attention to the signs when calculating work and heat in thermodynamics problems.
targa9932001
This problem is going to make me go crazy...

4. In the figure below, an ideal gas is slowly compressed at a constant pressure of 2.0 atm from 10.0 L to 2.0 L. This process is represented as the path B to D. In this process, some heat flows out and the temperature drops. If the heat lost from the gas in the process BD is 3.53E3 J, what is the change in internal energy of the gas?

Ok... all i have so far is since the pressure remains constant, it's an isobaric process. Therefore i have to calculate work.
W=(2E5)(.01-.002)
W=1600 J Now is it positive or negative?
Then i know next step is the change in internal energy
U=Q-W
Since the heat is lost from the gas is it negative 3.53E3?
U=(3.53E3)-(-1600)
Now i do not get the right answer... someone please explain why? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
1atm = 101.325 kPa,

not 2E5.

Does your book say 5.1512KJ?

HEAT LOST from the GAS is Negative
HEAT SUPPLIED To the gas is POSITIVE
Work Done on the Gas is POSITIVE(Means Compress gas)
Work done by the gas is NEGATIVE(Means Expand Gas)

Internal Energy = Work DOne + Heat
Internal Energy = Kinetic Enery + Potential energy

Hope this helps

My equation sheet says 1atm=1E5 Pa, so since i had 2 atm its therefore 2E5. But anyway i figured it out.
W=(2E5)(.002-.01)
W= -1600
Then the internal energy equation
U=-(3.53E3)-(-1600)
U=-1930J
Now i did get this right on my webassign but i kinda have the understanding of why the Q was negative so was the W. Ah w/e teacher hasnt taught us this... I am just trying to get ahead.

I would redo your caculation, it is incorrect.

1. What is an isobaric process?

An isobaric process is a type of thermodynamic process in which the pressure remains constant while other state variables, such as temperature and volume, may change.

2. How do you solve an isobaric process problem?

To solve an isobaric process problem, you need to know the initial and final values of at least two state variables (e.g. temperature and volume) and use the appropriate equations, such as the ideal gas law, to calculate the change in the other state variables.

3. What is the ideal gas law and how is it used in solving isobaric process problems?

The ideal gas law is an equation that relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is often used in solving isobaric process problems as it allows us to calculate the change in state variables, such as temperature and volume, when the pressure is constant.

4. What are some real-life examples of isobaric processes?

A common example of an isobaric process is the heating or cooling of a gas in a closed container. As the gas is heated or cooled, the pressure remains constant while the volume and temperature change.

5. Why is understanding isobaric processes important in science?

Understanding isobaric processes is important in science as it allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of gases under constant pressure. This is particularly useful in fields such as thermodynamics, engineering, and atmospheric science.