Solving Forces with Pulleys: 420N & 190N Blocks

In summary, the problem involves a block on a horizontal surface connected by a string to a pulley and another hanging block. The weights of the blocks are given, and all frictional effects are ignored. The task is to find the acceleration and tension in the system. By analyzing the horizontal and vertical forces separately, the correct equations to use are determined, but a solution has not been reached. Assistance is requested.
rwofford
so i have this problem with a block sitting on a horizontal surface and this block(m1) has the weight of 420 N. This block is connected by a string to a pulley and then connects to another block(m2) that is hanging from the pulley. The weight of the hanging block is 190 N. Ignore all frictional effects, and assume the pulley to be massless. I have to find the acceleration adn tension.

For this problem i know the free body diagrams..and i also know that the tension asn acceleration will be the same for both blocks. I have tried solving using the net forces but can't come up with an answer...

I have used:

sumF(m1)=Fn+Ft-Fg
sumF=ma
so: Fn+Ft-Fg=ma

sumF(m2)=Ft
sumF=ma
so: Ft=ma

but when i try to solve i am not getting an answer...please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
someone please help!

...hello?

rwofford said:
I have used:

sumF(m1)=Fn+Ft-Fg
sumF=ma
so: Fn+Ft-Fg=ma

sumF(m2)=Ft
sumF=ma
so: Ft=ma

but when i try to solve i am not getting an answer...please help!
Realize that you can't just add horizontal and vertical forces (like Fn and Ft on m1). Treat horizontal and vertical components separately.

m1 accelerates horizontally, so analyze the horizontal forces acting on m1. Similarly, m2 accelerates vertically, so analyze the vertical forces acting on m2.

What is the formula for calculating forces in a pulley system?

The formula for calculating forces in a pulley system is F = ma, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

Can you explain how to solve for forces using pulleys?

To solve for forces using pulleys, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the system, including the applied force, tension force, and weight force. Then, you can use the formula F = ma to calculate the forces at each point in the pulley system.

What is the difference between a fixed pulley and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the applied force, while a movable pulley is attached to the object being moved and can amplify the force applied.

How do you determine the direction of the forces in a pulley system?

The direction of the forces in a pulley system can be determined by analyzing the direction of the applied force and the direction of the movement of the object being pulled. The direction of the tension force will always be opposite to the direction of the applied force.

What are some real-world applications of pulley systems?

Pulley systems are used in many different industries and applications, such as elevators, cranes, and construction equipment. They are also commonly used in fitness equipment, sailboats, and rock climbing gear.