Multiple Percentages Probability

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the odds of getting a specific outcome from a program that spits out "yes" and "no" with a 60% and 40% chance respectively. The participant is trying to calculate the odds of getting 6 "yes" and 1 "no" out of 7 trials, as well as the odds of getting all "yes" or all "no" in 7 trials. The technique used is called the binomial distribution, and the formula is (x choose y) * p^y * (1-p)^(x-y). The conversation ends with appreciation for the clear explanation and the usefulness of the forum.
PharaohsVizier
Hi, I seem to be having problems calculating this out. My friends were asking me how to caculate multiple precentages and I thought it would be easy but I got a little stuck. Here is the problem.

Lets say there is a program that spits out the words yes and no. 60% chance it says yes and 40% chance it says no. If I hit it once, there is a 60% chance it says yes and a 40% chance it says no. If I click it 7 times and it says yes 6 times, what are the odds? I put .6^6 to calculate it, but it seems that I don't include the fact that it says no once. Also, what would the odds be if it said yes all 7 times or no all 7 times? How would you calculate these percentages?

Thanks alot, seems like a great forum so far.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You're looking for what's called the binomial distribution.

The odds of exactly 6 out 7 "yes" is (7 choose 6) * 0.6^6 * 0.4 ^ 1. Let me explain. You are getting 6 "yes" and 1 "no"; the chances of getting those answers []in that order[/i] is 0.6^6 * 0.4 ^ 1. Since you don't care about the order, you need to multiply this by the number of ways to choose 6 elements out of 7. In general, (x choose y) is

[tex]\frac{x!}{y!(x-y)!}[/tex]

For (7 choose 6), that's 7!/(6! * 1!) = 7, giving a total probability of [itex]7\cdot0.6^6\cdot0.4^1[/itex].

Thanks so much
I can't believe someone actually solved this for me in such a clear manner.
This forum is great!

PharaohsVizier said:
Thanks so much
I can't believe someone actually solved this for me in such a clear manner.
This forum is great!

I'm glad to have helped. o:)

1. What is the definition of multiple percentages probability?

The multiple percentages probability refers to the likelihood of an event occurring when there are multiple factors or variables involved, each with their own individual probability of occurrence.

2. How is multiple percentages probability calculated?

To calculate multiple percentages probability, we multiply the individual probabilities of each factor or variable involved in the event. For example, if there is a 50% chance of factor A occurring and a 25% chance of factor B occurring, the multiple percentages probability would be 50% x 25% = 12.5%.

3. How is multiple percentages probability different from single percentage probability?

Single percentage probability refers to the likelihood of one event occurring, whereas multiple percentages probability takes into account the probabilities of multiple factors or variables influencing the likelihood of an event. This means that multiple percentages probability will typically be a smaller number than single percentage probability.

4. Can multiple percentages probability be greater than 100%?

No, multiple percentages probability cannot be greater than 100%. It is a measure of likelihood, and therefore, cannot have a value higher than 100%.

5. How can multiple percentages probability be used in real life?

Multiple percentages probability can be used in a variety of fields, such as finance, biology, and engineering. It can help in making informed decisions by taking into account the probabilities of different factors or variables. For example, in finance, multiple percentages probability can be used in investment strategies to determine the likelihood of different outcomes based on the probabilities of various market conditions.