[Help] Simple Genetics Questions

• Biology
  • Thread starter t_n_p
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genetics
In summary, during meiosis in a human cell, one gamete is produced from each meiosis in both males and females, resulting in four gametes overall. Each of these gametes contains 23 chromosomes. In males, the X and Y chromosomes are not homologous, but the gametes always contain either one or the other. This is because during meiosis, the X and Y chromosomes pair up and separate, leading to the production of either an X or Y-containing gamete.
t_n_p
1. Answer the following questions as they relate to a human cell undergoing meosis.

a) how many gametes will result from each meiosis in a human male and from each meiosis in a human female?

I think it's one gamete each? I'm not sure how to interpret this question

b) how many chromosomes will each of these gametes contain?

Pretty sure its 23 chromosomes in each gamete

c) In a human male the X and Y chromosomes are not homologous and yet the gametes always contain either one or the other of these chromosomes, but not both nor neither. Why?

I really don't know how to explain this one...

Thanks to anybody who can help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've figured out part 1 is 4 gametes each from the male and female, just need to to part 3 now. Unfortunately, I still don't know how to explain it properly. Anybody able to help?

I am happy to help answer your questions about genetics.

a) You are correct, each meiosis in a human male and female will result in one gamete each. This is because during meiosis, the cell undergoes two rounds of division, resulting in four haploid cells. In males, these cells are called sperm, and in females they are called eggs.

b) Yes, each gamete will contain 23 chromosomes. This is because during meiosis, the cell divides and the chromosome number is reduced by half. In humans, we have 46 chromosomes in total, so each haploid gamete will contain 23 chromosomes.

c) The reason why gametes always contain either the X or Y chromosome in human males is due to the process of sex determination. The Y chromosome contains the SRY gene, which is responsible for male development. This gene is only found on the Y chromosome, so if a sperm contains a Y chromosome, the resulting embryo will develop into a male. On the other hand, the X chromosome contains a variety of genes that are important for both male and female development. Therefore, in human males, the gametes will always contain either an X or Y chromosome, but not both, as this would result in an embryo with an abnormal number of sex chromosomes. In females, both X chromosomes are homologous, so the gametes can contain either an X or no sex chromosome (known as X0), resulting in a normal female embryo.

I hope this helps to clarify your questions. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the curiosity and interest in genetics!

1. What is genetics?

Genetics is the scientific study of how traits are passed down from parents to offspring through the inheritance of genes. These genes are made up of DNA, and they contain the instructions for building and maintaining an organism's cells and functions.

2. How are traits inherited?

Traits are inherited through the process of sexual reproduction, where genetic material from both parents combines to create a unique set of genes in the offspring. Each parent contributes one copy of each gene, and the combination of these genes determines the traits that are expressed in the offspring.

3. What is the difference between dominant and recessive traits?

Dominant traits are traits that are expressed when only one copy of the gene is present. They are represented by a capital letter. Recessive traits, on the other hand, are only expressed when two copies of the gene are present. They are represented by a lowercase letter. For example, if a person has one dominant gene for brown eyes and one recessive gene for blue eyes, they will have brown eyes because the dominant gene is expressed.

4. How do mutations affect genetics?

Mutations are changes in the DNA sequence that can occur randomly or be caused by environmental factors. They can have a variety of effects on genetics, such as creating new traits or causing genetic disorders. Some mutations are beneficial, while others can be harmful.

5. Can genetics be influenced by environmental factors?

Yes, genetics can be influenced by environmental factors such as diet, exposure to toxins, and lifestyle choices. These factors can affect how genes are expressed and can also lead to mutations in the DNA. However, genetics still play a significant role in determining an organism's traits and characteristics.