How to determine if the mixing of two solution would result in buffer solution?

In summary, the six methods for buffer solutions are as follows: (i), (ii), (iii), (iv), (v), and (vi).
ada15

Homework Statement

Which of the following mixtures would result in buffered solutions whn 1.0 L of each of the two solutions are mixed?

(i) 0.10 M sodium chloride and 0.10 M sodium nitrite
(ii) 0.10 M sodium chloride and 0.10 M ammonium chloride
(iii) 0.10 M hydrochloric acid and 0.10 M ammonia
(iv) 0.20 M hydrochoric acid and 0.10 M ammonia
(v) 0.10 M hydrochloric acid and 0.20 M ammonia

Homework Equations

All I know is that there are 6 methods by which we can buffer solutions:
(i) weak acid and strong base
(ii) weak base ans strong acid
(iii) weak and its salt
(iv) weak base and its salt
(v) salt of weak acid and strong acid
(vi) salt of weak base and strong base

The Attempt at a Solution

but when I use the above knowledge, the answer are coming different ... the thing I'm not getting is how the molarity of each of the solutions would have an effect.

I have the answers for the above parts but I don't know the reasoning ...

(i) No
(ii) No
(iii) No
(iv) No
(v) Yes

Can anyone please please immediately and somehow explain me the reasoning ... I'll be really thankful ...

Physics news on Phys.org
Buffer must contain conjugated pair of acid/base. Preparation methods are a consequence of this.

Borek

Last edited by a moderator:
Too late I presume... But to find the answers to your questions you should follow not my links, but information about what the buffer is. Take a look at all solutions defined - IF they contain both acid and conjugated base (especially in comparable quantities) you have a buffer solution.

Borek

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I determine the pH of a solution?

The pH of a solution can be determined using a pH meter or pH paper, which measures the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution. A solution with a pH of 7 is considered neutral, while a lower pH indicates acidity and a higher pH indicates alkalinity.

2. What is a buffer solution and why is it important to determine?

A buffer solution is a mixture of a weak acid and its conjugate base (or a weak base and its conjugate acid) that resists changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added. It is important to determine if a solution will result in a buffer because buffer solutions are commonly used in laboratory experiments and in many biological processes to maintain a stable pH.

3. How can I determine if two solutions will result in a buffer?

To determine if two solutions will result in a buffer, you need to know the pKa values of the weak acid and its conjugate base (or weak base and its conjugate acid) in the solutions. If the pKa values are close, the solutions will likely result in a buffer when mixed together.

4. What factors can affect the formation of a buffer solution?

The formation of a buffer solution can be affected by the concentrations of the weak acid and its conjugate base (or weak base and its conjugate acid), as well as the pH of the solutions being mixed. Temperature and the presence of other ions can also impact the formation of a buffer solution.

5. How can I calculate the pH of a buffer solution?

The Henderson-Hasselbalch equation can be used to calculate the pH of a buffer solution. This equation takes into account the concentrations of the weak acid and its conjugate base (or weak base and its conjugate acid) and the pKa value of the weak acid. Additionally, a pH meter or pH paper can be used to directly measure the pH of a buffer solution.