Motor run as a circuit element?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of converting simple current in a wire to mechanical energy using a motor. The person asking the question is unsure if such a motor exists without using magnetic materials. It is mentioned that most electric motors use magnetic fields to operate, but there are some with good magnetic shielding. The possibility of a motor without permanent magnets is confirmed, specifically a linear-induction motor, which involves magnets and polarity-switching. The intended use for the motor is to create translational motion along a wire, similar to moving a small cart on wheels.
nealh149
Can you convert simple current in a wire to mechanical energy with a motor? What type of equipment would this require.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean - that's what a motor is for.

Sorry I was unclear. Is there a particular type of motor that converts current into mechanical energy without using magnetic materials?

actually nevermind, let me think it through more thoroughly and decide exactly what I'm looking for.

Most electric motors use some magnetic phenomenon to work. Remember that any current through a wire generates a magnetic field, so it's not something easily neglectable. There are motors out there with very good magnetic shielding, however.

I think that Neal might be asking if it's possible to build a motor that doesn't include permanant magnets. If so, the answer is yes.

Basically to put it more clearly, I want something that I can connect to a current carrying wire that will create traslational motion, like a move a small cart of wheels.

Okay, then... I think that you are basically looking for a linear-induction motor. They don't just follow along a wire, though. There are magnets and polarity-switching involved.

1. How does a motor function as a circuit element?

A motor operates as a circuit element by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. When a current flows through the motor's coils, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnets inside the motor to produce rotational motion.

2. What is the difference between an AC and DC motor?

An AC (alternating current) motor runs on an alternating current power supply, meaning the direction of the current changes periodically. A DC (direct current) motor runs on a direct current power supply, where the current flows in only one direction.

3. Can a motor function as both a motor and a generator?

Yes, a motor can function as both a motor and a generator. When a motor is supplied with electricity, it converts it into mechanical energy to create motion. But when the motor is rotated by an external force, it generates electricity, functioning as a generator.

4. How does the speed of a motor affect its performance as a circuit element?

The speed of a motor is directly related to the frequency of the alternating current supplied to it. As the speed of the motor increases, so does the frequency of the current, resulting in a stronger magnetic field and a more powerful motor.

5. What are some common applications of motors as circuit elements?

Motors are used in a wide range of applications, including household appliances (such as washing machines and fans), industrial machinery, transportation (cars, trains, and airplanes), and robotics. They are also used in renewable energy sources, such as wind turbines and hydroelectric generators.