Angular Impulse and Angular Momentum

In summary, the problem involves finding the angular velocity of an arm after a plug has wedged itself in a block, given the mass of both ends, distance from the pin point, height of the plug and its mass, and initial angular velocity. The equations used include (Ho)o = (Ho)horizontal and v^2 = vo^2 - 2g(y-yo). The calculated angular velocity is smaller than the given value of 2 rad/s, indicating a clockwise rotation. The person is seeking confirmation and guidance on their solution.
krnhseya

Homework Statement

Mass of both end, distance from the pin point, height of the plug and its mass, angular velocity are given.
Need to fine angular velocity w of the arm immediately after plug has wedged itself in the block.

Homework Equations

(Ho)o = (Ho)horizontal

The Attempt at a Solution

1) 2(v1)(0.5) = (4+2)(0.5w)(0.5) + 6(0.3w)0.3
2) v^2 = vo^2 - 2g(y-yo) -> calculate v and substitute in v1

I find w to be a number smaller than 2 rad/s which is given and i know it's CW.
I just want to double check my work. thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
if someone can guide me to right direction i'd really appreciate it. :)

whats the significance of 2 rad/s?

1. What is Angular Impulse and Angular Momentum?

Angular Impulse is the product of a force applied to a rotating object and the time interval in which the force acts. Angular Momentum is the measure of an object's tendency to continue rotating at a constant rate.

2. How are Angular Impulse and Angular Momentum related?

Angular Impulse and Angular Momentum are related by the equation: Angular Impulse = Change in Angular Momentum. This means that when a force is applied to a rotating object, it causes a change in its angular momentum.

3. What is the conservation of Angular Momentum?

The conservation of Angular Momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant if no external torque is applied. This means that if there are no external forces acting on a rotating object, its angular momentum will remain constant.

4. How is Angular Momentum different from Linear Momentum?

Angular Momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to continue rotating at a constant rate, while Linear Momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to continue moving at a constant velocity. Angular Momentum is dependent on the object's mass, shape, and rotational speed, while Linear Momentum is dependent on the object's mass and linear velocity.

5. How does changing the mass or shape of an object affect its Angular Momentum?

Changing the mass or shape of an object affects its Angular Momentum by changing its moment of inertia. Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. Therefore, changing the mass or shape of an object can alter its moment of inertia, and consequently, its Angular Momentum.