What experiments are lined up to test gravity

In summary, there are currently several experiments being conducted or planned to test the properties of gravity. These include a torsion pendulum experiment by a group of Washington scientists, the LISA experiment set to come online in 2014 to measure gravity waves, and the LIGO experiment which is searching for gravitons. There is also a UK dark matter collaboration and other experiments such as dark matter telescopes.
Chaos' lil bro Order
I was wondering about what experiments are planned or being done now to test the properties of gravity, such as is there a graviton, is MOND real, and other such questions. As I recall there were (maybe still are) a group of Washington scientists working on a torsion pendulum experiment that hoped to measure fluctuations in gravity down to 1mm. Also, as we know LISA will be online in 2014 to measure if there are gravity waves and other things. So are there any other experiments you know of running or scheduled?

Physics news on Phys.org
LIGO is looking for gravitons. there's a uk dark matter collaboration or coalition or something. dark matter telescopes... MACHO etc.

im still waiting for apples to fall off my tree

dipstik said:
LIGO is looking for gravitons.

LIGO is looking for gravitational wave, isn't it

or I misunderstanding about LIGO (Laser Interferometer Gravitational Wave Observatory)

if I wrong , Can you explain me about how LIGO is searching for gravitons ?

yes, LIGO, i forgot about LIGO.

1. What is the current understanding of gravity?

The current understanding of gravity is that it is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to be attracted to one another. It is described by Einstein's theory of general relativity, which states that gravity is the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass.

2. How is gravity currently being studied and tested?

Gravity is currently being studied and tested through various experiments and observations. These include studying the motion of celestial bodies, measuring the effects of gravity on objects at different distances, and testing the predictions of general relativity through experiments such as the Gravity Probe B mission.

3. What experiments are lined up to test gravity in the future?

There are several experiments lined up to test gravity in the future. These include the Laser Interferometer Space Antenna (LISA) mission, which will use lasers to detect gravitational waves, and the Satellite Test of the Equivalence Principle (STEP), which will test whether objects with different masses fall at the same rate in a vacuum.

4. How do scientists account for the effects of gravity in their experiments?

Scientists account for the effects of gravity in their experiments by using mathematical equations and models that incorporate the force of gravity. They also take into account the mass and distance of objects involved in the experiment, as well as any other factors that may affect the strength of gravity.

5. What are the potential implications of new discoveries about gravity?

New discoveries about gravity could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. They could also lead to new technologies and advancements in areas such as space travel and communications. Additionally, understanding gravity better could help us solve some of the biggest mysteries in physics, such as the nature of dark matter and dark energy.