Thermodynamics - cyclic pressure/volume process

In summary: Lets try and break it down. From B to C the process is isothermal. So W=nrTln(V_{i}/V_{f}).From C to D the process is isobaric. So W=-P(V_{f}-V_{i}).So the difference in internal energy between points B and A is W-P=94kJ.
TheStebes

Homework Statement

A sample of an ideal gas goes through the process shown below. From A to B, the process is adiabatic; from B to C, it is isobaric with 98 kJ of energy entering the system by heat. From C to D, the process is isothermal; from D to A, it is isobaric with 158 kJ of energy leaving the system by heat. Determine the difference in internal energy, Eint, B-Eint, A.

(sorry I can't post the link to the actual graph)...
Point B: P=3atm, V=.09 m^3
Point C: P=3atm, V=.40
Point D: P=1atm, V=1.2
Point A: P=1atm, V=.20

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]E= Q + W
For cyclic process, [tex]\Delta[/tex]E=0, Q = -W

isobaric process, W=-P(V[itex]_{f}[/itex]-V[itex]_{i}[/itex]
isothermal process, W=nrTln(V[itex]_{i}[/itex]/V[itex]_{f}[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that based on conservation of energy, after completing one complete cycle, the overall change in energy will be 0. Basically, this means the net work done equals the area enclosed by the path. I'm confused at how you would solve for the energy at a single point though -- in order to find the difference between E,B and E,A. What equation would I use to calculate such an energy?

Using the equation Q=-W:

98 - 158 = -[W[itex]_{B,C}[/itex] + W[itex]_{C,D}[/itex] + W[itex]_{D,A}[/itex] + W[itex]_{A,B}[/itex]]

W[itex]_{B,C}[/itex] = -P(V[itex]_{f}[/itex]-V[itex]_{i}[/itex] = -94kJ
W[itex]_{D,A}[/itex] = -P(V[itex]_{f}[/itex]-V[itex]_{i}[/itex] = 101.325

W[itex]_{C,D}[/itex] and W[itex]_{A,B}[/itex] are isothermal processes which can be solved with W=nrTln(V[itex]_{i}[/itex]/V[itex]_{f}[/itex]), but no information is provided about the temperature.

At this point, I'm stuck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Scott

Physics news on Phys.org
This is also a problem I am having trouble with, the last point I need. Here's the picture relevant to our problem:

webassign.net/pse/p20-32.gif

TheStebes said:

Homework Statement

A sample of an ideal gas goes through the process shown below. From A to B, the process is adiabatic; from B to C, it is isobaric with 98 kJ of energy entering the system by heat. From C to D, the process is isothermal; from D to A, it is isobaric with 158 kJ of energy leaving the system by heat. Determine the difference in internal energy, Eint, B-Eint, A.

(sorry I can't post the link to the actual graph)...
Point B: P=3atm, V=.09 m^3
Point C: P=3atm, V=.40
Point D: P=1atm, V=1.2
Point A: P=1atm, V=.20

The process from A to B is not isothermal. It is adiabatic.

I am not sure what the question is. Are you trying to find the difference in internal energy of the gas between points B and A?

If so, Find the change in internal energy from B-C, C-D and D-A using the first law:

[tex]\Delta U_{BC} = Q_{BC} - W_{BC}[/tex]

i) Work out W from the area under the graph from B-C.
ii) What is the change in U from C-D? (easy)
iii) What is it from D-A? (similar to i))

How is the total of i + ii + iii related to the change in U from A-B?

AM

1. What is a cyclic pressure/volume process in thermodynamics?

A cyclic pressure/volume process in thermodynamics refers to a series of changes in pressure and volume of a system that ultimately returns to its original state. This means that the system undergoes a complete cycle, starting and ending at the same state.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics that apply to cyclic pressure/volume processes?

The first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, applies to cyclic pressure/volume processes. The second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system cannot decrease over time, also applies.

3. What is the purpose of studying cyclic pressure/volume processes in thermodynamics?

Studying cyclic pressure/volume processes allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of systems undergoing changes in pressure and volume. This is important in fields such as engineering, where understanding the thermodynamic properties of systems is crucial in designing and optimizing processes.

4. How is work related to cyclic pressure/volume processes?

In cyclic pressure/volume processes, work is done on or by the system as it undergoes changes in pressure and volume. This is because work is defined as the product of force and displacement, and changes in pressure and volume involve changes in force and displacement.

5. Can a system undergoing a cyclic pressure/volume process have a net change in internal energy?

No, a system undergoing a cyclic pressure/volume process will have no net change in internal energy. This is because the system starts and ends at the same state, so the internal energy at the beginning and end of the process is the same. This is in accordance with the first law of thermodynamics.