Do Black Holes Really Exist or Does General Relativity Contradict Itself?

In summary, a crackpot has published an ad in a science magazine claiming that black holes do not exist due to a contradiction in general relativity. There is also a blog and a thread discussing this topic. However, the discussion is limited on reputable forums and without a peer-reviewed paper, the claims cannot be discussed.
heiwos
Stumped about GR "contradiction"--help please

Apparently some crackpot blew some $$ on a full page ad in a science magazine, claiming to show that there black holes don't exist because GR contradicts itself about them. I haven't seen the ad, but there's also a blog about it and a thread about it on another forum that you can see by googling for "no black holes (general relativity". I studied black holes & know a little GR, but I can't see the problem. Discussion at another site hasn't shown what's wrong with it. Can y'all help me see it please?

I'm aware that only limited discussion is allowed here about claims of problems with generally accepted physics. That's fine, but since unfounded claims of problems are easy to make in both directions, if this thread is closed before rebuttal can be made (by me, if I can!), can you please continue in the other thread? Thanks! While I don't wish to support a crackpot's delusion, I also want to know the real problem with it; the problems listed on the other thread are not real problems with the blog as far as I can tell.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF heiwos.

I've performed your google search and have indeed found the thread at that other forum. I note in the first line that this was an advert in New Scientist. Since this is not the most respected of magazines, I find it hardly surprising that they will publish crackpot ads. Thus, unless you have a link to a published, peer-reviewed paper on the subject, PF rules forbid the discussion of it here.

Sorry!

First of all, it's important to remember that just because someone publishes something in a magazine or on a blog, it doesn't automatically make it true or valid. The fact that this person is claiming to have found a contradiction in GR does not necessarily mean that there is actually a contradiction.

That being said, it's always important to critically evaluate any claims and arguments made, especially in the field of science. It's possible that this person may have misinterpreted or misunderstood concepts in GR, leading to their perceived contradiction.

Without seeing the specific ad or blog post, it's difficult to address the specific claims being made. However, there are many resources available online that discuss and debunk common misconceptions and misunderstandings about black holes and GR. I would recommend doing some further research and reading reputable sources to gain a better understanding of the topic.

It's also important to approach this with an open mind and not dismiss the claims outright without fully understanding them. However, it's equally important to remain skeptical and not accept claims without proper evidence and reasoning.

In conclusion, it's always good to question and critically evaluate claims, but it's also important to do so in a rational and informed manner. Keep researching and learning, and hopefully you'll be able to understand and address this supposed contradiction in GR.

1. What is GR contradiction?

GR contradiction refers to a contradiction or inconsistency found within Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. What causes a GR contradiction?

GR contradictions can arise due to various factors, such as incorrect assumptions, mathematical errors, or limitations of the theory itself.

3. How can I help with a GR contradiction?

If you have identified a potential GR contradiction, you can help by carefully examining the evidence and providing a logical and well-supported argument for your perspective.

4. Is it common to encounter GR contradictions?

GR contradictions are not uncommon in the field of theoretical physics, as theories are constantly being challenged and refined. However, it is important to thoroughly investigate and scrutinize any potential contradictions before drawing conclusions.

5. Can GR contradictions be resolved?

Yes, GR contradictions can be resolved through further research, experimentation, and refinement of the theory. It is a normal and necessary part of the scientific process to encounter and address contradictions in order to improve our understanding of the universe.